A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission cooler lines don't seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default transmission cooler lines don't seal

After getting my car back together I'm now having a problem where ATF comes out of the lower transmission cooler line where it seats on the transmission. I can see that the line isn't seating all the way but no amount of tapping with a hammer will get it to go all the way in. I changed the o-rings and it still won't seal.

Both of the lines have flanges for the purpose of fastening to the transmission. My understanding was that the top line's flange was overlapped by the bottom line's flange with a single mounting bolt, am I wrong?. When I try to seat the bottom line, it won't go all the way in and it seems like the flange is just sitting flush on top of the other flange but that leaves a gap between the flange and the trans where the line inserts. I tried overlapping them the other way around but that definitely doesn't work.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The top line goes in first.

then the bottom line.
Originally Posted by Dr. A8
After getting my car back together I'm now having a problem where ATF comes out of the lower transmission cooler line where it seats on the transmission. I can see that the line isn't seating all the way but no amount of tapping with a hammer will get it to go all the way in. I changed the o-rings and it still won't seal.

Both of the lines have flanges for the purpose of fastening to the transmission. My understanding was that the top line's flange was overlapped by the bottom line's flange with a single mounting bolt, am I wrong?. When I try to seat the bottom line, it won't go all the way in and it seems like the flange is just sitting flush on top of the other flange but that leaves a gap between the flange and the trans where the line inserts. I tried overlapping them the other way around but that definitely doesn't work.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tozoM8
then the bottom line.
Thanks Tozo, I ended up putting it back together that way again but this time I made sure that the o-ring was seated before tightening the bolt. I think I just didn't have it seated last time and assumed that tightening the bolt would have done the job. I've been able to drive it with no leaks.