A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for buying an S8 D2

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
Hey Leo,

Any update on finding a S8?

2001 S8
Black on Black
Hey, I almost got lucky. BruceM found an 02 that looked really good but the asking price was too high. So I keep looking for now.
I'm in no rush because I live really close to work so I can get by without a car with no problem.
We'll see what happens in the next few weeks...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thphon
Hey, I almost got lucky. BruceM found an 02 that looked really good but the asking price was too high. So I keep looking for now.
I'm in no rush because I live really close to work so I can get by without a car with no problem.
We'll see what happens in the next few weeks...
Hi everybody!

Hopefully I'll be the proud owner of a 03 S8 with almost 102k, if it passes the inspections next week will be mine. Wish me luck!!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not the price you pay, it has (much) more to do with the cost it takes to keep it.

When I got my A8, I knew what I was getting into. My friend (an old Audi wrench BTW) went to look at the car with me and between the two of us and looking at A8s for a loong time found something that was worth it. I won't go into the miles or hours but it was a bunch of both.
Finding an A8 that hasn't been abused is not easy. Look down the oil filler port and go from there.
Finding the color, body style, lack of whisky dents, etc., etc., is not that easy.

Very few of these cars have had a loving relationship with their previous owner.

Spend the time, money and effort to research or be prepared.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Very interested in this thread.. I am looking at an D2 S8 2001 with about 140K (miles) . It seems to of been cared for.. but with documentation from an independant shop.. or maybe the seller is being honest

So what are the key things we should look for , before doing the car inspection ($$$)?? What determines the value of an S8 ?

Actually the car drives nice
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my chosen path..

The overall condition, starting with the body and paint. If you are concerned about things mechanical (and you should), remove the oil filler and if you see sludge.. say goodbye.
If you have gotten this far, spend time with the paperwork to determine if the necessaries have been kept up to date. Then a look under for oil leaks.

Brakes, tires, dampers, suspension, steering, AC, fuel system, battery, windows, interior condition, etc., etc., can all be replaced if the basic unit is in good condition (and they should be).

BTW, I looked for 2 1/2 years @ over 15 cars before I located my dream car. It was straight and the paint was acceptable. The previous owner(s) had used synthetics and the oil filler was clean as a pin. The oil leaks and the rest of the systems got replaced and my only problems have concerned things that could be waited on to failure before repair (ie; HVAC blower). My next issue will be rear dampers and I could replace the head liner.
I've continued using synthetics on everything and I have an A8 that is a peach.
Is it perfect, no, but it is very close and when the guys at the wash make comments, they are always positive. I'm a happy camper. pc
Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by thphon
The 01 was sold the next morning I found another 02 in Fredericksburg, VA. It seems it has the timing belt done and they are willing to get it inspected by a third party. I tried to arrange for an Audi dealership but haven't heard back from them yet. If anybody can recommend a good INDY in that area, that would be great. I won't be able to fly there until next weekend so that gives me some time.
By the way, yesterday morning I sold my M3 so I'm buying an S8 for sure How can I get in touch with BruceM?
Thanks for the help!
Leo
I just took delivery of the S8 from FredericksburgVA. Purchased through Rosner Volvo. Flew into Richmond, they picked me up at airport and brought me to dealership to sign ppw. Time at dealership was less than 20 minutes. Paid $11k. Car is a rocketship. Paint flawless, compleete service records included.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 540i/S8 Guy
I just took delivery of the S8 from FredericksburgVA. Purchased through Rosner Volvo. Flew into Richmond, they picked me up at airport and brought me to dealership to sign ppw. Time at dealership was less than 20 minutes. Paid $11k. Car is a rocketship. Paint flawless, compleete service records included.
That sounds like a nice find! Color combo? Miles? I keep toying with the idea of putting mine up for sale (2002 silver/black 73k miles) and getting a good idea of what I'd ask. I paid just shy of $16k in April/'09 and have put a lot of goodies on mine since.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by S8ilver
That sounds like a nice find! Color combo? Miles? I keep toying with the idea of putting mine up for sale (2002 silver/black 73k miles) and getting a good idea of what I'd ask. I paid just shy of $16k in April/'09 and have put a lot of goodies on mine since.
Siler/Black w/ 93k. I've always wanted one. Nice compliment to my 540i. Ze Germans build a fine auto I must say...
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 540i/S8 Guy
Siler/Black w/ 93k. I've always wanted one. Nice compliment to my 540i. Ze Germans build a fine auto I must say...
I just had a flashback to Top Secret! (the movie) where, upon a German military truck gently pushing the rear bumper of a Ford Pinto it explodes, the character Chocolate Mousse says "You've got to hand it to the Germans — they make great cars" as they drive away in the German car still on fire!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi guys,

I ended up buying a 2003 S8 with 102k miles, silver exterior with burgundy interior (I still don't like this color that much) in really good shape. I bought it from BruceM for $14k (including delivery from PA to FL) and it arrived this past Thursday. I'm really happy with the purchase. Thanks everybody for their help and advice!
disclaimer: I'll be asking a lot more questions in the near future

Cheers,
Leo