A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...Im thinking of adding a D2 S8 to my stable....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So...Im thinking of adding a D2 S8 to my stable....

Im thinking of getting rid of my 1995 UrS6 (RS2 Spec) in favor of a D2 S8. I have been reading the D2 forum...but have LOTS more to read.
Can anyone share their thoughts with me on the D2? Meaning: What year(s) are best (if any), what to watch out for, what are the "must-have" options, etc, etc. I live in Northern NJ and there are a few for sale locally in the 15K range with around 80K miles. I favor Avus Silver...but I would be game for just about any color if I can find one thats pretty mint.

Thanks fellas!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default If you go from a UrS6, you should love it

It's a natural progression, you'll love the suspension and power. It has short gears so it's quick.

If you could find an 02 or 03, they have "s" mode on the transmission, which really makes the car "squirt".

I have an 01 that I have done a ton of mods to, a lot that came on the 02's and 03's.

Check the FAQ in my sig and look at audipages.com if you haven't already.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Lots of folks go Ur-s to D2 S8 and love it, including me. Mine's for sale in PA if you're interested
Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the tips....

First thing I did was go through the FAQ which was a wealth of info.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 4000 pounds of badass luxury.

It's not a Porsche-like racecar feel, it's like being in your living room at 150mph.

Very stable, very connected...but none of that "wrapped in gauze" feeling you get in most luxury sedans.

Oh, and it's scary fast.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So not adding...Several here including myself have left UrS6/4 for UrS8 and they are...

immensely different. That said I long for the 5spd that many upgraded to 6spd and the kick in the **** turbo boost. The S8 is so much more refined and a whole nother spectrum of driving experience. I wish I kept my S6 but garage and driveway space did not allow for it. If you can, have one of each.

Mark

P.S. Chime in PK with your prosetively commentary.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm here Bish. The Pollock in you has done good in covering der bases mostly.

These cars are literally //Supremely mofoingly ****** f'eringly ohsovery badass.

Sure I miss my boost onset kick in der pants. Sure I yearn to row it mesself. Sure the C4 feels more mechanical.

So buttons.

5yrs. / 80k / and a 6spd and all the CF and Mihnea and Big Red and Xenon and and and bits pales in comparison to the 2.5yrs / 40k I've experienced in Alumibitch.

Not much on swaying the argument I'll further offer - drive one for yourself and be sold. Adding one to the stable is a no brainer - a $70sK car for mid teens? Easy decision. Double paned glass all aluminum awesomeness for less than Civic money?

Your Q's are easily answerable through some searching here, or just troll for awhile and absorb. Shouldn't take much.

You lean Avus - welp '03 it is for you then. Assuming you like Coppenhagen interior (I do). If not, '02s a good bet - alleged to benefit from some sorta robustedededified Reverse piston seal or something. Dunno. '02s offer some cool color choices, in dash 6disc (what's a disc when there's Phatnoise?), and "S" mode trans which is great if you don't like to Tip it for yerself, if you do it's sorta moot.

Must have options? I'm sorta partial to the full Alcantara - what's not to like about full head liner, pillars, and rear shelf??? Other than some propensity to pilling of the seat centers - I'd suffer. Solar roof is real neat, but somewhat rare. Nav / parking are a joke.

Basically, I'd only get hung up on ONE option, that whatever car I chose did not have comfort seat option (no offense to any yous who enjoy them), as to moi... Recaro Trophy's are integral to the experience. Think that was an '01 thang only, or maybe into '02. Def. not '03 (tho '03 no Alcantara). Same goes for Sport steering wheel vs. MFSW. Some love their MFSW, to me the feel of the grip diameter and the weighting (Sport heavier) round out the experience in a way the MFSW leaves lacking (not to mention looks - and the fact I'm a non-gadget DORK).

Realistically - get what year you find the best 'opp' on. Then be ASSURED to get an extended warranty as, well - it's just good cents (literally).

Say, thinking back to //SFest'08 - we briefly met I believe... didn't you just get that C4 and go all out with it? Quick project to be done with I guess. You'll appreciate the suspension and interior on the D2 most comparatively - not to mention the fact I'm nearly NEVER out there in the frigid cold HAVING to tinker with it! No joke, it's that noticable the difference.

HTH, good luck. These things are surprisingly alluringly exotic in experience AND ownership - hard to quantify why. When I can have boost hit in daily row it mesself teutonic bliss (see sig) and find myself STILL yearning to pilot Alumibitch certain daze - well that's telling, to me at least...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool...very good info.

Yes I think we did meet and speak breifly at S-fest.
So do all 02's come with the suede headliner....or only certain ones? Its coming down to either an 02 or 03....but Im a sucker for suede. =P
Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

=)
Old 02-17-2009, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Only 01's and 02's came with alcantara

BruceM's 01 has alcantara headliners and seat inserts.

03's came with their own special interior package, three color choices. Look them up on ebay.

02's really could be loaded out with crazy options. But there aren't that many out there. I love the multi function steering wheel.

Quick Reply: So...Im thinking of adding a D2 S8 to my stable....