A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-program key fob procedure for D2 THAT WORKS PLEASE

Old 02-16-2014, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterfree62
Did you fix your problem with the your Key Fob? I am having the same problem. Your than buying another blank fob and getting a key cut.
Unfortunately no. Even was able to trade out my fob with another guy who was parting his '00 out, still no go.

So now, just saving pennies for two new keys so I'll have two with good remotes and one as a backup.

Raz
Old 02-17-2014, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So, if you put the key in the driver's door, turn it to lock and HOLD it in the lock position, do ALL the doors lock? same question for unlock? If you turn and hold it in the Unlock position, do the windows eventually start coming down?

If not, then the driver's door key cylinder (switch and wiring) is not talking to the central locking controller or the controller is kaput. This would prevent you from coding a remote using the driver's door lock method.

But I guess the lock controller is OK b/c VAG COM says so?

Central locks work from inside the car?

If you turn the lock in the trunk and...scratches head...is it hold it or turn it twice...can't remember...Anyway, screw around with the key in every orifice where it fits and see if you get a response beyond that one lock you are operating. If so, that's good. It means the locking computer is talking to the various locks.

It sounds like your remote is FUBAR. If the old batteries leaked, that could kill it. They don't much care for toilets, washing machines, romantic walks in the rain or swimming either.

Not to further confuse things, but when you buy a new key, make sure it has the correct transponder pellet for the immobilizer system.

The remote/locks/alarm is one system while the engine immobilizer /transponder pellet is another. They are completely separate.

If you plan on having a second key, you still have to get the dealer to pull the 4 digit pin from your cluster to pair it up with the new key. The key has to have the right class of transponder pellet AND the cluster has to be told to accept this particular pellet as authorized to start the car.

I tried an Ebay key...remote paired up just fine, key cut so it worked the locks, but it would not pair to the immobilizer system. It had the wrong class of transponder pellet in the key head. Finally,I bought just the key head from the dealer, they cut it using just the VIN number (ok, that part was pretty cool), but then I was able to pull the secret 4 digit code and pair it to the car using my trusty Super K VAG something or other I bought from China for $80. End result...Ebay remote snapped together with Dealer provided key head and it all worked fine.

http://www.ecutool.com/Super-VAG-KCA...l#.UwHTK4XAtgk

It probably wouldn't pay to buy it just for this one project, but I've used it for a couple of other procedures as well. The operator "manual" also reads like a bad fortune cookie offering aspirational advice rather than an actual procedure, and the whole process exudes the aura of "I'm gonna brick my ...insert expensive electronic unit name here" every time I fire it up. Out of the box you've got to go online to update the damn thing, and most times you have to do things twice, almost. As in life, persistence pays off with this gizmo...just muddle through, and it all just sort of works out in the end.

So once you get the remote sorted, you've got this mess to sort through. Yay!

Good luck,

Brian C.

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 02-17-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Key Fob issues

Yes the locks work as they should on mine manually. Just cant use the fob to lock or unlock the doors.

I though I had a bad battery in the Key Fob. I was at AutoZone the other day they had fob tester there. The tester said it was working.

The guy I bought the car from said it use to work. then the key went though the wash. I understood that he replaced the key. with another one. Buy didn't want to pay to have it programmed.
My question is would if it went through the wash. Would it ruin the transponder and remote locking? or just the remote locking. The key fob part is 4D0-837-237 P A3/B5 where would I find the transponder part number if there is one? the Key fob I have it has a W stamped on it.

I have a 2000 Audi A8L

Last edited by scooterfree62; 02-17-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if the part number you quote is correct or not, perhaps someone with ETKA access could chime in. But I would hazard a guess that while it may look right, it is the wrong remote for your car.

I transplanted a transponder pellet from an old broken key to a new one. It literally looks like a small glass cylinder. I suspect that it would survive a trip through the wash and that you likely have the wrong one.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Key Fob

I have a old Audi manual and it says the same for programing a new or reprograming a old one. still need two keys to work. I am trying to figure out if neither key fob works in the first place. Will it still program them or one afterwards.

It's weird cant even use a Super K VAG either. something about the year 2000 A8 nothing seems to work or say it does.

The ross tech I have wont let me do any programing or erasing key fobs either. The only thing I can do while pushing the buttons on the key fob is see the numbers change from 0 to 1.

So my guess is to get a key cut to fit the Ign so I can turn it on then try to program the key fob that I have in the door lock and it should work or at least in theory. Then a pin number for the new key for the immobilizer /transponder I think I could use the ross tech for that. when I get the right pin number. Am I way off on thinking this? Thanks for your input on this, Scott
Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Key Fob

Well Called a Audi dealer around here. They don't cut the keys here. Have to order them thru Audi come in around two days. One dealer had 80.00 for the transponder and 64.00 for the remote. then 50.00-60.00 to program both keys $202.00 The other dealer was 212.00 so I'm thinking maybe I will leave it as is. lol that is crazy for a key fob
Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterfree62
Well Called a Audi dealer around here. They don't cut the keys here. Have to order them thru Audi come in around two days. One dealer had 80.00 for the transponder and 64.00 for the remote. then 50.00-60.00 to program both keys $202.00 The other dealer was 212.00 so I'm thinking maybe I will leave it as is. lol that is crazy for a key fob
There's an independent locksmith in my area (everyone's area I would assume..near civilization) that sells a refurbished key, with new metal he cuts there & full programming (including immob. chip) for $75...or will cut and program the key you bring (OEM or equal) for just $35.

He warned me that some cheap Chinese eBay keys are the wrong metal on the key section and will destroy the proper cutter if not the OEM soft metal..."if a magnet sticks to it, it's wrong", he says.

Look in the Yellow Pages or Google the locksmiths in your area or the closest metro area...you'll find someone who'll do it WAY cheaper than the dealer and do everything in-house.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The correct part number for a 2000 A8 is 4D0837231P 01C, where "01C" is just the color code indicating you have a black remote. I think you have the correct remote if the last number is in fact a "1" and not a "7".

Here is the official process, keep in mind the immobilizer must be re-adapted too with the secret 4 digit pin code and you may have to erase the programming first (see bottom section):

Radio-frequency remote control keys must be adapted again, if one of the DTCs 00955 to 00958 is indicated.
Work step of adapting new radio-controlled keys
– Switch ignition on (using an additional key).
– Check how many keys have already been adapted in measuring value block 003 → Anchor.

Indicated on display:
Display field 2 indicates how many and in which memory positions radio-controlled keys are adapted (e.g. 1 unit in position 1).
– Lock vehicle from outside with the key to be adapted by way of the driver's lock door.
– Press the “open” button of the radio-controlled remote key as many times as needed within 5 seconds until the next memory position has been reached (in example 2 times).
Every button depression is confirmed with the emergency flashers.
– Wait 5 seconds.
– Now press “open” button once again for confirmation of the adaptation procedure.
The vehicle key is stored and central locking must unlock
– Switch off ignition and remove ignition key.
– Check function of new radio-controlled key.
– Check display field 2 in measuring value block 003. An additional 1 must now be indicated (in example: 0011).
Read measuring value block 3 ¿
0 0001 0 0000

Display field 2 indicates in which memory positions radio-controlled keys are adapted (in example 2 units in memory position 2 and 1).

Work sequence for erasing memory positions
It is possible to erase all memory positions, e.g. if the customer has lost a radio-controlled key. Proceed as follows:
– Switch on the ignition using a key.
– Then lock central locking mechanically from the outside using a key.
– Press “open/unlock” button on radio remote control key five times at 1 second intervals.
Every button depression is confirmed with the emergency flashers.
– Then press radio-controlled remote button “open” once again after 6 seconds for confirmation of this erasing procedure.
Now central locking must not unlock via the radio-frequency remote control.
– Switch ignition off and remove ignition key.
– Memory positions have been erased, the central locking system must not unlock when operating the “ open” button of radio-frequency remote control.
Up to four keys can now be adapted again.

Last edited by needforsleep; 02-17-2014 at 04:02 PM.