A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Winter Setup - S8

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Winter Setup - S8

Hola!

So over the summer I worked like crazy, 70 hours a week and maintaining my house and trying to squeeze time in for the girlfriend too left me minimal time for the S8. With winter coming, I figured I would give her some attention she needs.

List of attentions! :P

- Mobil 1 Oil Change / Filter
- Transmission Flush / Filter / (Filter Trim)
- New RS6 Style Wheels with Winter Rubber
- K & N Drop in Filter
- Supersprint X-Pipe
- While doing X-Pipe, will be removing the muffler on the axle back and fitting a straight pipe in its place
- Exterior Buff / Polish
- Interior Detail
- Front Plate delete

Now with <1,000 miles to 200K, I felt she needed a nice refreshment. The transmission feels even smoother than before, engine feels nice and strong (as always) and shes shining!! Unfortunately the X-Pipe was on backorder from Italy and will be a few weeks until it arrives. So still waiting for X-pipes to do the exhaust all at once. Im anxious to see how she is going to sound.

I ordered the wheels from OEWheels LLC, you may see their banners all over the site and really cheap prices on replica rims. I ordered a set of RS6/RS4 style 9 spoke 18" wheels for my winter setup and Im really happy with how it came out. I would REALLY love to get this same set in 20" as in came optioned on Euro models, but they are so hard to find and a ton of $$ to boot. When I ordered originally, OE Wheels canceled my order saying they would not fit my D2 S8. They are the same specs as the stock wheel, just a different offset.

Stocks are : 18 x 8 with a 48mm Offset
These are: 18 x 8 with a 35mm Offset

The 13mm will end up pushing the wheel just over an 1" FURTHER away from the wheel, so I knew there would new no issue with clearances, especially with this type of face on the rim. I had to sign a release form saying I understood that they are advising that they wouldnt fit with my brake kit and sizes... yada yada... It fit. And quite nicely I think. The extra 1" helps flush them up with the body line.

Front plate delete was the wrong black so I have to wait to have that painted correct and the slapped on. Take a look at the wheel setup and let me know what you guys think!! The center caps were all chrome and were WAYYY to flashy. So Plasti-dipped them black and then peeled the outer ring. I think it looks pretty good for now, but will try to find some center caps to fit. It said OEM caps will fit but they dont, prolly cause supposed to be for S4? Idk. On to the pics...

feedback appreciated!!

Name:  segOErs.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  AXldKLh.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  924.8 KB

Name:  DS1O4G3.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  873.5 KB
Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks sharp. What's that white speckled stuff on the top of the car? Is that frost? Lol, I'm from MN and I know that stuff all too well. However, in FL I rock my "winter" setup all year...

I would like to hear some stories about how well the car handles in the snow. I'm hoping to fly back up north in March for a week but it would be too arduous to try and drive there and back (besides I think flying would be cheaper).

19's would be nice but they are so far down on the priority list it ain't funny. Looks good tho...

Raz
Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Razman
Looks sharp. What's that white speckled stuff on the top of the car? Is that frost? Lol, I'm from MN and I know that stuff all too well. However, in FL I rock my "winter" setup all year...

I would like to hear some stories about how well the car handles in the snow. I'm hoping to fly back up north in March for a week but it would be too arduous to try and drive there and back (besides I think flying would be cheaper).

19's would be nice but they are so far down on the priority list it ain't funny. Looks good tho...

Raz
Yea thats def frost!! Im in upstate NY and we had our first dusting of snow the day before and the next day was about 20 degrees. I took a pic or two while she was warming up.

Honestly, the car is the best handling VEHICLE ive ever driven in the snow period. I say vehicle because no car, truck, even ATV or the like has handled as well as the S8. I plowed through almost a foot of snow like it wasnt even there. Still handled great even with some speed into turns, and the donuts are endless fun. As big as these girls are, it just takes a good snap off the jump with traction off to get her in circles.

I purposely went up a road with a seriously steep hill in the middle of a heavy storm when the plows couldnt keep up with the storm. A good 3-5" on the ground and I wanted to test her. I went to the middle of the hill and came to a complete stop. Sat and held for 30 seconds, and then started off nice and easy and she pushed through with ease. Was really really happy after that. Put a huge smile on my face and a lot of confidence in the AWD system and handling/grip of my snow tires.

I had 20" on before and liked them but the tires were too thin. Possibly going to pickup a real nice set for summer if i can.

Thanks for the comments. I love the way shes lookin!!

Name:  IUyNpil.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  80.9 KB