A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member and D2 S8 owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by oldscool
The small amount of time I've spent driving it supports your comment! When I took possession the variable intake plenum was not working, and the timing belt was an unknown, so I look forward to experiencing 360HP in a 3,800 lb. car. I've driven many cars and the seats in this S8 are some of the best I've been in.
Welcome to the group.
The d2 is a very special car. I started hoarding parts a few years back, then decided to start selling some..
I'm trying to help keep parts available for these old gals.. let me know if I can help you source something?

Traditionparts.com <<< my website, be on the lookout as I'm constantly looking for more items and sourcing hard to find parts.

-Richard

Last edited by audinutt; 06-12-2023 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add content
The following users liked this post:
2KA84PT2 (03-21-2024)
Old 06-12-2023, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the welcome. Agree, the D2 is a special car. I was aware of them since they came out but never knew much about them. This one became available, and I bought it because it checked all the boxes as far as performance, styling, and rarity. I wasn't looking for a car at all, but once I laid eyes on it, well it had to come home with me. I've already visited your site after initial reading here. I may have already bought some things from you! (trunk stops, splash shield hardware, etc.) Thanks for your efforts!

As mentioned, I have a source of D2 parts cars somewhat local to me and have been in contact with the seller. Once I narrow down what else I need I'll be going to see the cars and will report back with details.
audinutt (06-15-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I started hoarding parts a few years back, then decided to start selling some..

I've been doing the same for the MB 500E community.
audinutt (06-15-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the club. Since you're looking to do your timing belt/water pump/thermostat, I'd HIGHLY recommend that you replace your cam chain tensioners. I had my timing belt et al done, then 10 months later, one of the cam chain tensioners crapped out on me. My initial $1,200 job cost an additional $2,500 less than a year later. Problem was mine: I was advised, but I misunderstood "tensioners" to mean the belt tensioner... Lesson learned.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank You.
I've read a couple of recommendations on the chain tensioners, possibly yours. I'll do all at once. Are they located behind a front cover in back of the timing belt? I assume only factory parts should be used. Available at the dealer? I'll add, I've still not tried to get a detailed service history from the dealer here that serviced it. Just busy, and something I would like to do in person. nothing is going to happen until then, including driving.

Is everyone happy with FCPs timing belt/pump/thermostat kit? It's what I bought. I'm not familiar yet with Audi's aftermarket parts producers and reboxers. All parts look to be of good quality.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 74 Posts

The chain tensioners are in the front on the LH side (side with the oil dipstick) and on the rear on the RH side. Cams have to come out. I am thinking I'll do the intake valve springs at the same time I do these, should I get that far down the road with my 2003 S8. Probably short of 200K miles, maybe 175K or after a valve spring breaks. Timing belt, water pump, bufkin pipe, washer pumps, fan support, serpentine belt tensioner roller, alternator, etc. at the same time if they are not recent.
Valve springs are not a common failure point on the 40v engine but some forum members with S8s at higher miles have had it happen. Probably associated with more sport shifting and the like.

I had a tensioner shoe crack apart on my A8 at 200K miles, I replaced the pads only and re-used the old tensioners due to cost and concern for bum non-OEM replacements. A few clacks while they pump back up, I felt, was acceptable. I did not try backflushing the check valve in them, that might have been possible.

oldscool (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oldscool
Thank You.
I've read a couple of recommendations on the chain tensioners, possibly yours. I'll do all at once. Are they located behind a front cover in back of the timing belt? I assume only factory parts should be used. Available at the dealer? I'll add, I've still not tried to get a detailed service history from the dealer here that serviced it. Just busy, and something I would like to do in person. nothing is going to happen until then, including driving.

Is everyone happy with FCPs timing belt/pump/thermostat kit? It's what I bought. I'm not familiar yet with Audi's aftermarket parts producers and reboxers. All parts look to be of good quality.
I can only speak on my experience, but one of the tensioners I bought from ECS was bad, so my mechanic felt sorry for me and gave me 2 new oem ones at his cost. Can't remember where I purchased my timing belt kit, though. Have never ordered from FCP so far.

edit: Just remembered: I bought my timing belt kit from Blauparts. Came with Flennor belts, though. I bought a gates timing belt separately, but my mechanic installed everything that came in the box from Blauparts.

Last edited by The Peaceful One; 06-20-2023 at 10:35 AM.
oldscool (06-19-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello and welcome! I've been an Audi owner for about 30 years, and have had my D2 S8 for about 5 years now. I'm sure there's way more technical knowledge than me on this forum, but I wanted to add a small tidbit regarding parts. Early on in my ownership of the car I had some frustration getting parts like we probably all have. You can source some things OEM/new, others from wrecking yards (sometimes sketchy). I contacted Audi NA (several times) and was told about Audi Heritage Parts for our D2 Platform. Only catch is your local dealership has to order as they are an "Import Authority". I tried it myself, you can look up an research parts, put them in your cart, even fill out your shipping address, but when you try and pay you get blocked due to customs issues. Some here will argue about this, but I know it works. Twice I've ordered items (once a window regulator, the other a windshield cowl), by printing out my cart and taking it to my dealer to order for me. Four/five weeks later a brand new, non marked up part comes in for either them or me to install. EU law says auto manufactures have to keep parts onhand for 30 years, so we're good for a bit yet. Good luck with your car! P.S. If you have friends in Canada or Mexico, they ship directly there for some reason, just not to the end user in the USA P.S.S. Oh, for instance need a new transmission? I know it's overkill, but almost everything is out there...

Last edited by whooosh_s4; 08-11-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-11-2023, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the info! I have not been able to move forward with the car yet due to other priorities however I'm very much looking forward to having the car sorted and enjoying it. Your tip adds to my confidence in getting there.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update.
I've been slowly acquiring parts as well as learning and I'm ready to begin with replacing the differential input as well as the two output seals. The right seal is leaking but I'll do them all while the exhaust system is off. The transmission output seal was done fairly recently.
Question. How much work is it to repack or replace the rear wheel bearings?

The next job will be to install the transgo valve body which I have waiting. I will want to replace the chain tensioner pads along with the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc. Did I understand correctly that the cams must come out to replace the pads? I've chosen to leave the chain tensioners alone due to the fact that the car has had regular oil changes and there is presently no noise or issues.
Looking forward to getting this car back on the road! I really like the stock 9 spoke wheels but I also have these Brabus wheels I'll be using as well. They are a bit wider at 8.5 inches and I think the style will fit the car. We'll see.