A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Rear Rotors and Pads....1998 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Rear Rotors and Pads....1998 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro

I need to replace my rear rotors and pads on my 1998 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro. I am looking at these.... This is a daily driver never sees a track. I put EBC yellow and Zimmerman rotors on the front. Thoughts or other suggestions?

Brembo Rear Rotors

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering

and then Akebono Rear Brake Pad Set Akebono Euro - Ceramic

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

Last edited by rellascout; 07-28-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Without endorsing a specific brand, I just suggest (from experience) that you match the front and rear in performance as closely as possible. The car's built in braking balance will take care of the rest. High performance at one end and OEM on the other will be felt in an unpleasant way and confuse the car's efficient proportioning.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Understood. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm - I wonder if that's my issue? I did have EBC Red ceramics in front and installed Centric ceramic in the back. The brakes worked great. then I needed new front pads, and Centric did not make a ceramic, so I used the posi-quiet semi-metallic. Ever since I installed those pads I've had brake problems. I even rear-ended someone on the highway in stop/go traffic. Some days the brakes feel great and stop on a dime...but other days not so great. It seems to depend on how long the car has been running... I used to think it was heat, but now I think it is some sort of antilock calibrating that is adjusting as the car is driven. I even had to run the anti-lock diagnostics to bleed (or reset) the antilock in order to regain some of my front stopping power. And all this trouble started when I installed the Centric posi-quiet pads. :-/ I guess maybe it is important to match the pads. I might buy another set of ceramic pads for the front (made by another manufacturer) and get rid of those posi-quiet semi-stop pads. :-|
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

May I suggest that if you are doing all four wheels you look at the setup I have. I have Wagner Thermoquiet Pads all the way around and using ATE Premium One rotors all around.

The rotors I purchased through TireRack.com and the brakes I bought locally through Advance Auto Parts or RockAuto.com

When I first installed the setup, the brakes were not great. The baked-on silver finish of rotors takes a while to burn off and the brakes to bed in. But after 25,000 miles since I installed them, my brake setup works very well, makes no noise, and even keeps the wheels relatively clean. There's brake dust created, but it's so light in color that it blends in with the clear coated aluminum wheels.

BTW, my car is a daily driver, mostly highway miles. If I were to do brakes again, I would go with the exact same setup. I would also say that after 25,000 miles, I've got at least another 35,000 miles to go before I need new brakes again.