A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant is disappearing....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant is disappearing....

Just like the title says... I have no idea where is is going! I took all the covers off last night and I couldn't even find a trail...

Also when the car is cold and I just start driving it, it feels like the tranny is like thinking about switching into 3rd gear as I accelerate.. as I give gas is starts to rev and than it catches gear and keeps going but as soon as the car warms up the hole shifting problem disappears... Any ideas?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say your fluid level is low on your transmission. It is possible that your radiator is leaking a bit and you can't see the leak. Can you smell hot coolant at all?

The other possiblity is that your coolant is leaking internally through the cooler into your ATF lines, this is rare.

-Richard
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I already went and filled the tranny fluid to the top... But I will try to top it off again monday.

No I cant smell coolant at all...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same Here

hoping it is not a transmission issue but just a ATF issue.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My A8 when the radiator went was pushing all the coolant into the tranny! So be very very careful! As water based glue is used inside the tranny for seals etc its not a good combo! I have had my gear box flushed but I still have some in there! Gr! Flushing it again tomorrow!

I had a leak from my gearbox, was a pipe near the radiator. That kept putting my gear box in safe mode as well
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

WOW! GOOD Point. I did have a similar issue with the radiator and also the oil cooler and now the transmission going into limp mode in low gears, and also in reverse.

Will have it flushed first!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If anyone knows where the gearbox oil and the coolant is mixing please advise! As ive just flushed it again! And it's grey watery oil still!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by samsmart18
If anyone knows where the gearbox oil and the coolant is mixing please advise! As ive just flushed it again! And it's grey watery oil still!
The radiator itself is the only place they could mix. The ATF cooling coils are integral (and internal) with the radiator.

Sounds like an internal breach...and not likely repairable...time to replace the radiator.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
The radiator itself is the only place they could mix. The ATF cooling coils are integral (and internal) with the radiator.

Sounds like an internal breach...and not likely repairable...time to replace the radiator.

So yesterday as I was going to the car wash my car wouldn't shift into gear. As I was giving it some gas it would throw it in and out of 5th gear right up until the car reaches a certain speed than it stays in gear. The gears light up in red on my dash looks like the car put the tranny into safe mode. But it goes into reverse and is just fine. Any ideas guys? I will be taking it to a local Audi wiz tomorrow asap. Also CEL came on a day or 2 ago...

Last edited by AudiPasha; 01-06-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2

I have a brand new radiator already! I found out yesterday where my coolant is going now, maybe it's not the gear box anymore and I just need to flush it through a few times to get rid of it all! Coolant is literally pissing out the top of the coolant temp switch. So I've ordered a new one of them. Also my gear box is in safety mode had all the codes cleared for it, but It has come back, now it needs a new neutral safety switxh which I believe is called the f125 switch which is not the easiest thing to get too!

Quick Reply: Coolant is disappearing....