A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immobilizer Delete or Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Immobilizer Delete or Bypass

Help! I need this thing on back on the road soon. Just paid $2500 in repairs only for the cluster to burn out after driving it home from the shop 6 weeks ago. Finally have a working used cluster, but of course, the immobilizer is a big Kill Joy at the moment. No one in my area seems to be able to help. However, I am 100 miles from ATL, where I could get help, but I would need to spend $1300 to have it towed up there JUST so someone can look at the car to "see" what's going on. I don't have those kinds of resources.

So, I'm asking you folk for any suggestions on getting the car back on the road. Currently, I'm looking at the ECU/KEYS/CLUSTER/Igniton kits. Seems to be the most likely way to go. I do have 2 working DONOR clusters. Is the immobilizer in the ECU or the cluster? With my dead original cluster, is there some chip or something I can remove from it and place on one of the donor clusters?
Old 04-25-2022, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The immo is in the cluster. There are 3 ways to get the cluster working again (assuming it is just a dead cluster that is causing the problems). 1 Programming the new cluster to the car. 2 Going immo off. 3 Or transferring the chip from the old cluster to the new. Personally I think immo off is the easiest way, because you just have to take off the ECU and sending it to someone to take the Immo off. On the other hand, it makes stealing the car also easier

Before you do so, make sure that the cluster is causing the issues. Try the new cluster and see whether the car wil run for 1 sec. After 1 sec the immo kicks in to shut the car off. If it doesn’t start at all it means that the cluster is likely not the (only) issue

Last edited by tommygogh; 04-25-2022 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AudiMaan (06-04-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tommygogh
The immo is in the cluster. There are 3 ways to get the cluster working again (assuming it is just a dead cluster that is causing the problems). 1 Programming the new cluster to the car. 2 Going immo off. 3 Or transferring the chip from the old cluster to the new. Personally I think immo off is the easiest way, because you just have to take off the ECU and sending it to someone to take the Immo off. On the other hand, it makes stealing the car also easier

Before you do so, make sure that the cluster is causing the issues. Try the new cluster and see whether the car wil run for 1 sec. After 1 sec the immo kicks in to shut the car off. If it doesn’t start at all it means that the cluster is likely not the (only) issue
Thanks a lot. You pretty much answered it all for me. I really appreciate that. I don't mind going immo off, since I rarely drive it, and it's ALWAYS in the garage, in a gated community. It's rarely out of sight whenever I do drive it. Does immo off mean I can't use my fob to lock the doors? (I think that is called remote locking).

Oh, I also have two working used clusters. The pins on the blue harness connector are loose. Gonna have someone fix that one for me.

I also wouldn't mind transferring the chip from my original cluster to one of the working ones. I don't have the hands for soldering, so I'd have to find someone to do that. Honestly, I would prefer this route.

And lastly, yes, even with the cluster OUT, the car still starts strong, then shuts off after a second of two.

Last edited by The Peaceful One; 04-26-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Happy to have helped you
You could use the keyfob without a problem.

I would rather let someone program the cluster to your car instead of soldering. Finding someone who knows what he is doing (finding the right chip etc.) is harder than finding a VW/Audi guy that can program the new cluster I think. Immo off is also easy for a tech guy who knows Audi’s, and you could also make extra keys without having it programmed to the car in the future. But be aware that you have to put something behind the Immo light in the cluster if you go Immo off, because the Immo indicator in the cluster will be on al the time. Goodluck!
The following users liked this post:
AudiMaan (06-04-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Happy to have helped you

I would rather let someone program the cluster to your car instead of soldering. Finding someone who knows what he is doing (finding the right chip etc.) is harder than finding a VW/Audi guy that can program the new cluster I think. Immo off is also easy for a tech guy who knows Audi’s, and you could also make extra keys without having it programmed to the car in the future. But be aware that you have to put something behind the Immo light in the cluster if you go Immo off, because the Immo indicator in the cluster will be on al the time. Goodluck!
Crud. I'm confused again.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Happy to have helped you

I would rather let someone program the cluster to your car instead of soldering...
There is where my problem is. Maybe you, or SOMEBODY here, can point me to the right people. I've exhausted my options in my area.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 74 Posts

Can you get the ECU from one of the cars you got a cluster from? If so then you just need to get a dumb VCDS cable, get the immo PIN and then pair keys to the mated cluster/ECU pair.
(I think).
If you could also get a key shell from the same car it should run with the mated key/cluster/ECU. You can put your cut key blade into the mated keyshell which contains a little RF chip:
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/100...lizer-chip.htm

that chip (glass tube) is for the immo, has nothing to do with the remote door unlock.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfrahm
Can you get the ECU from one of the cars you got a cluster from? If so then you just need to get a dumb VCDS cable, get the immo PIN and then pair keys to the mated cluster/ECU pair.
(I think).
If you could also get a key shell from the same car it should run with the mated key/cluster/ECU. You can put your cut key blade into the mated keyshell which contains a little RF chip:

that chip (glass tube) is for the immo, has nothing to do with the remote door unlock.
This would also be a very good option, then it would be a piece of cake to get the cluster working
Old 04-28-2022, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfrahm
(I think).

I'm gonna email the seller and see if he still has the ECU. The cluster I got from him is from his personal car, so I'm guessing it got wrecked and he's just parting it out. I'll let you know when I hear from him. Really nice guy.

EDIT: Ok, he's checking. He thinks he still has it!!

Last edited by The Peaceful One; 04-28-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

This would also be a very good option, then it would be a piece of cake to get the cluster working
Thanks, I'm looking into it now.

Quick Reply: Immobilizer Delete or Bypass