A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cant believe im saying this but i think the A8 will be my last Audi. Ever.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cant believe im saying this but i think the A8 will be my last Audi. Ever.

Does this disturb anyone? Here is a list that i have found to be wrong with my car. Now these things do not change the way the car is driven, but if i actually bought this car new i would be furious. I understand that my car is old but these items are items that should last indefinatley. These are overcomplicated parts. Every time i see a new person join they come with the same shopping list of issues.

4 Door Latches that will not turn the interior lights on. These broke one at a time. The design again is too complex. A simple button switch like every other car out there would work.

Trunk latch that will not turn on the trunk lights, again another simple button switch

Remote door lock distance issue, Audi had a TSB yet the range still stinks.

Oil leaks from oil coolant cooler. Which is not even needed. Less interfaces outside the motor means less potential for leaks.

Interior motors on seats that were designed with cables that were .5-1 inch too short. This is just a simple design flaw which scares me because that messed it up on all 3 motors per seat.

A completely stupid design on water drainage that will flood your car when (not if) it gets clogged.

Heated steering wheels that just burn them selves out.

Heated side mirrors that have no temp regulation until 00 so that they are always heated and start to delaminate

Airbag sensors that are GLUED to the bottom of a seat and after time dries up and causes an airbag fault.

Armrests that break if you do not treat them gentley.

Gloveboxes that get stuck (ok this happens on non audis also)

What are your opinions? Can we ever keep up? Will we ever have the A8 working at 100%?

Note: I am not getting rid of my car any time soon, because i have fixed 90% of these issues. But looking in retrospect, how can audi keep in business.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you should email this to Audi in Germany and ask for a reply
Old 12-26-2005, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

heh, you notice i didnt even touch the transmission topic.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BIG 2nd. They are great project cars, but you always need a backup car.

Unfortunately my other car is an Audi too. Lesson learned. No more german car with an automatic tranny for me.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:14 PM

Default But where else would you meet such wonderful people like Paul, Gabor and myself?

Jack, so, what is your next car? For some reason I don't see you in a Honda Accord.

Gabor, I read a Hungarian book over the weekend. I think you are the Viszkis Rabl? :-). Ballad of the Whisky Robber by Julian Rubinstein, funny and interesting.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a good one.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default This was my first, and will be the only audi I will ever own. I would buy another D2, but NEVER any

.... other audi. No D3, NO WAY. No other VAG car. An S8 is still on my mind, but I do know this car (D2) more now, and know what it takes to keep it going.

My girl had a few audis ( 5000CS, 4000CS, and her V8Q), most of which were headaches other than the 4000. I knew this but figured with a newer car the problems would be less. I was planning on selling it after I paid for it ( 2 years ) and buy the landcruiser. I still have it, and will probably keep it and add another car to my garage.

The main reasons I bought the A8 were because of the aluminum shell, and quattro. My other choices were a Lexus GS, LS, (which were not 4 wheel drive), or a Land Cruise/LX (would have been 4WD). These would not have rusted as fast as parts break/fail on the A8.

My list:
A) 2 out of 4 door pins do not light up the puddle/interior lights ( I am replacing the factory switches with high end aftermarket ones that WORK.

B) Recently my headlight sprayers do not work at all. Still need to look at this.

C) Rear defroster does not work.

D) My remote range sucks too..

E) My driver-side rear HVAC vent light failed. Minor, but I will fix it to work sooner or later.

Now, my heated steering wheel has worked for my complete ownership ( 2.5 years), and everything else works great. No transmission issues other than downhill thumps once or twice a month total.

I also do not drive my car everyday. If I did, I would be willing to bet my issues would be larger in number.

I am also not swapping cars because of these trivial problems, but I am not happy when I have to devote "supra modding time" to fixing my "newer" car. I do know it is not a NEW car, but if it was I would not expect much of a difference.

Luckily they really hit the luxury car idea square on the head, because when I sit in the car, I enjoy it. When I drive it, I enjoy it. When I take friends out, we enjoy it.

If this car was not all of the car it is, I would have sold it off and moved into an equal car that was reliable.

But there is no equal.

Sorry to blab. I am tired and it is late. Night!
Old 12-27-2005, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default This is my third Audi to pass 150k miles and I will buy another one!

All cars have issues. Most cars have more ot them with age and more serious issues than many of the small pita things that happen with our Audis.

I've owned a 95 90 Sport, a 97 A6 and my 98 A8. The 90 was a blast to drive in unmodified form, always got me where I was going and back again.

The A6 was lowered and slightly modded. Tranny was replaced post warranty for free by Audi at 62k miles. Got left high and dry twice. Once when the brake light switch failed and wouldn't let me engage the shifter. Once when a spark plug came completely unthreaded and was popping up and down in its spot. Other than that, it was up to 172k miles when I traded it in on my A8.

My A8 is a joy every day. It's lowered, tip'd, loaded up with a phatbox and I drive the hell out of it! Is it perfect? No way. It has a slight leak at the oil filter that I can't get rid of no matter how many times I try. The cruise control works when it feels like it and the tranny just started hunting a short time ago (Tip usage resolves that issue.) But it's the most bang for the buck I can get in a used car that surrounds me with luxury, handles beautifully (with the eibach/bilstein combo), and makes me grin like an idiot when I stomp on it in 3rd gear!

I'm saving up to get a used D3 with the Bang & Olufsen audio system in a few years. Can't wait. Of course, I'm also the guy with the Audi watch (wife got it for me at the Audi Boutique on Rue Royale in Paris. They had a full blown TT racer in the window! Way cool! ), the pen, fleece hat, scarf & mitten set, the leather attache, travel mug, R8 die cast model on my desk and a big Audi Sport banner on the wall in my office. Others call it fanaticism. I call it brand loyalty.

And finally, my local dealer doesn't totally suck. Close, but not totally and I avoid them most of the time anyway.

There it is, my $2.22.

Happy Motoring!
Old 12-27-2005, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The sad part is that such luxury cars get more complicated and heavier as ...

..time passes, which increases the likelihood of gremlins, failures, etc.

Toyota sell millions of vehicles compared to Audi's several thousand, which makes it easier to test and improve parts. You'd expect that by sharing the VW bin we would have more reliable parts, but when was it last that the peoples' car was a paragon of realiability?

Every time something fails in my car, while my wife's Lexus is bulletproof, I get irritated. However, driving the Lexus for more than a couple of days, combined with an A4 or A6 loaner for more than half a day, make me yearn to be back inside the A8/S8!

Ultimately I've realised there are two broad classes of people: the ones who can fix things themselves (and enjoy doing so) and the ones who can't (or don't have the time). I fall into the latter group--have the means, space, and will to spend hours fixing my car, but my wife would divorse me (she'd rather let me buy a new car than spend 2-3 hrs on a Sat fixing the car...) Thus, when it gets to the point that the car has excessive issues, is not CPO or other warranty covered, I would be selling for a new one. I simply don't have the time to chase after problems while keeping and otherwise enjoying the car till 100K+ (I'm at 44K now).

Also, keep in mind that the American consumer is totally spoiled and pampered by customer service and allowed to constantly whine to death since there is a receptive audience among merchants willing to listen and respond (for obvious reasons). The European experience of service, and most importantly *expectations*, is usually much lower. Then again most Europeans drive these cars much less than we do (in the same period of time) since they have developed transportation systems..
Old 12-27-2005, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default on the other hand, there are ppl like me with 150k+ on their cars with....

nothing broken that isnt a consumable. The only questionable items are the front driveshafts and the breather hoses. Other than those replacements, its been just fluids, filters, and brakes.

I think the problem is Volkswagen build quality being appplied to Audi complexity...

Quick Reply: I cant believe im saying this but i think the A8 will be my last Audi. Ever.