A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlight Issues

Hi, Been having issues with my HID headlights been looking for a direction or someone that might have the same problems that I have.
First: If I drive above 80 mph the pass headlamp would go out. I would be able to flick the lights off then on several times then the light would turn on. I switched the bulbs around and still have the same problem.

Second: Also found out when it was raining my pass side light would go out. Then much later the drivers light also would go out. Then even with switching the light switch off and on the lights would not go back on.( I'm glad I have driving lights lol)If I let the car set over night the light would work once again. or if they sat long enough maybe dry out. If its dry out they will stay on as long as I need them.

Does anybody have any ideas? I haven't replaced the bulbs yet. Thinking maybe not the problem.

I do get the warning on the dash that I have a headlamp issue when one or both lights go out.

I don't see any water in either headlamp assembly.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you looked at all the wiring? This sounds like a hardware problem (most likely a connector issue).
Old 02-25-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Other than the bulb, there's two components to the HID system:
The Igniter
The Ballast

The igniter is contained inside the headlight assembly with the bulb on a D2.
You don't seem to have any issues with actually lighting the bulb.

The ballast is housed under each guard (fender) inside the engine bay close to each headlight. It is responsible for regulating the voltage to keep the bulb ignited.
As your problem seems to be the bulbs going out after being ignited, it most likely lies with the ballasts.
These are not an uncommon failure, especially considering the youngest of these have been in service 11+ years and they're relatively exposed compared to the bulbs and igniters.

A good place for sourcing replacements is HCSale.com. You'll need the part number.