A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric rear curtains

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric rear curtains

hi there ...
after my car was standing still for almost few month due to the gearbox problems and car battery died I noticed quite disturbing thing. As I try to rise electric rear curtains by pressing button on dash it wants to go down not up ... why?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pulinsh
As I try to rise electric rear curtains by pressing button on dash it wants to go down not up ... why?
?? ^^ What does that mean? ^^

Was the screen in the down position when you discovered the problem?

If so, what makes you think it's trying to go down? Motor running?

Details!!! ...as is, your question makes no sense.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Of course it doesn't make sense, he's in Latvia.

As to the question, it may not be trying to go down- I have seen some rear screens that somehow get caught on the cover and need the cover readjusted in order to work properly.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

rear curtains are in down position, I want to rise them.... when I push the button to do it they are not rising up. I thought they were stuck or smth .... so my friend pushes the button and I'm trying to help it up (gently) with two fingers. and than I feel it is pulling in because gap between rear panel and metal bar of rear curtains where pulled togeather. Like it was trying to go down, not up
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

don't be so rude - that I'm in Latvia it's not main reason why it's hard to understand me - it is hard to describe the problem

Originally Posted by 71camaro
Of course it doesn't make sense, he's in Latvia.

As to the question, it may not be trying to go down- I have seen some rear screens that somehow get caught on the cover and need the cover readjusted in order to work properly.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

rear curtains are in down position, I want to rise them.... when I push the button to do it they are not rising up. I thought they were stuck or smth .... so my friend pushes the button and I'm trying to help it up (gently) with two fingers. and than I feel it is pulling in because gap between rear panel and metal bar of rear curtains where pulled togeather. Like it was trying to go down, not up
Thanks, that was a more understandable explanation...if the motor is actually trying to pull it down, the control module is failing or "out of sequence". Each time the screen is operated, the motor hits a limit, cuts off and tells the module to reverse the motor (swap current path) for the next push on the switch..there is NO micro switch to tell the module which position the screen is in...it just alternates directions.

The module is attached to the bottom of the hat shelf, in the trunk. If the module is out of sequence (not failed), you may be able to manually (electrical jump) move the motor/screen to the up position and get it back in sequence. The 2 pin connector on the module is the reversible power leads to the shade motor...pull em off and put 12V & ground to them and see which way it goes...reverse if necessary. Once the shade is up, plug it back in and try with the switch...worth a shot >>>

Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

and I have to remove rear seats to get to it? can You help me with pics of location and how to get to it?

Last edited by pulinsh; 07-26-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

and I have to remove rear seats to get to it? can You help me with pics of location and how to get to it?
Now it's ME who's hard to understand ?!

I just provided you with a drawing AND a description of the location!! Are you sure you don't want someone else to do this for you?

"Remove the seats"??? Are you kidding?!

POP THE TRUNK ("BOOT LID").

LOOK UNDER THE HAT SHELF (where rear speakers are mounted).

FIND THE BOX IN THE DRAWING.

RE-READ MY PAST INSTRUCTIONS, ETC, ETC...

If this is not enough, set your car ablaze, shove it over a cliff and collect the insurance money
Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

haven't seen that there ... I once removed all seats and curtain panel to clean it ... just wondering where it is, I will go and take a look after 20 min. if it's living in the trunk

and insurance doesn't work in our country like that

Last edited by pulinsh; 07-26-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

didn't find it looked in cd-changer side and battery side too

under that link you can see other side too

Quick Reply: electric rear curtains