A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disc Carrier Tranny Rebuild

Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc Carrier Tranny Rebuild

Hey peeps, I am in the process of buying some parts for the rebuild on my 00' A8L.

I need to buy the "A" drum, but upon inspection of other parts I noticed that what looks to be the disc carrier, (according to some diagrams I saw), has some wear on the bottom.

If this is not the disc carrier (part 72.180) please let me know, what part it is, if I need to replace it. THANKS.

I seemed fairly odd, since all other parts are extremely fine and smooth.

Do I need to replace this part? Or can I just put it back as it is.

Also, by looking at the pictures, any other concerns, or anything I should be looking for besides the drum and disc carrier?

Any answers would be great.

Thanks.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Cks69; 01-27-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

The top three pictures are indeed the disc carrier 72.180. The bottom are of the input shaft 70.010 and it looks like the spot where the circlip sits was worn off in the majority of the top lip. I wasn't able to tell from the pics how the disc carrier looked.

What was the transmission doing?
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would go in to limp mode.

The carrier has a lot of wear in the bottom. You can see in the pictures, very fine grooves. And some wear as well...

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by nossisnave
The top three pictures are indeed the disc carrier 72.180. The bottom are of the input shaft 70.010 and it looks like the spot where the circlip sits was worn off in the majority of the top lip. I wasn't able to tell from the pics how the disc carrier looked.

What was the transmission doing?
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

How did the clutch packs look? If the disc carrier was worn that much I would prob replace it. This is what mine looked like:
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine is MUCH MORE worn out.

So I will probably go ahead and replace it.

Clutch packs also being replaced as well. They where so so....so I will replace them.

Thanks for the reply!!!

P.S. Besides pentosin, what oil would you recommend?

Originally Posted by nossisnave
How did the clutch packs look? If the disc carrier was worn that much I would prob replace it. This is what mine looked like:
Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah the amount of wear would make me wonder if the trans ran low on fluid. Wow

Actually IIRC, ZF says don't use Pentosin but regardless the fluid must be ESSO LT 71141 compliant. I ran Wolf's Head synth tranny fluid in my 2.7 A6 for 50k mi w/ no issues and currently running Amalie full synth in my A8L after my rebuild. No need to spend for the Lifeguard fluid IMO. I'm sure Tozo and the rest of the AW crowd have some favorite fluids as well
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That looks like the zf 5hp24 that I rebuilt in my bimmer. That part you have is generally called the a-drum. The usual failure is the uppermost ring snaps off. Yours doesn't look too bad, but while you're at it, a replacement wouldn't be bad. Be sure to replace the valve body casting and pressure regulator valve, as that is what breaks these transmissions. Either the a-drum will break (no go/limp) or the f-piston will flatten (no reverse) from pressure spikes. I got my stuff from eBay and thectsc.com both were excellent. I rebuilt mine at 160k and the clutches looked pretty good, within hundredths of a mm of new. PM me if you need any help, I did mine about a year ago.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can anyone tell me if these parts are the same as the ones in my 2000 A8L transmission?

I need a replacement and found this kit, but really don't know if they are the same. Also, are they the same from a XJ8 Jaguar as well?

http:// www . ebay . com /itm/231148992177?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

All 5hp24 transmissions should use the same internal components. Those certainly look the the parts in my bimmer transmission. I am wondering why you need planetary parts though, those should last forever.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, here is why....long story short... a friend of a friend was gonna help me with the rebuild, he took with him a couple of parts stating that they needed to be replaced, and now he ditched town and nowhere to be found.

Now I am stuck with an incomplete transmission.

Now I need help!!

Can anyone tell me what parts am I missing ??

I have included some pictures of what I have. (Obviously there is more, but these are only the small moving internal parts that are loose, and from these same batch parts, are the parts he took).

I am 100% sure one of them is the B disc carrier. Also, I remember him taking some steels, but dont know which ones. And also, him taking another part, which "I BELIEVE" is the part in the lower right corner of the e*ay link I posted.

That is the reason I ask if they are the same, because if that is what I am missing, I need to purchase them.....

BUT, as far as I know, he took more parts, BUT, I really dont know, since I am not an expert here.

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

P.S. The part circled in the pictures, has all the clutches inside, the picture does not show the inside...

Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon
All 5hp24 transmissions should use the same internal components. Those certainly look the the parts in my bimmer transmission. I am wondering why you need planetary parts though, those should last forever.
Attached Images      

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disc Carrier Tranny Rebuild