A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 S8 Suspension, OEM vs. Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 S8 Suspension, OEM vs. Aftermarket

Hello All,

I've owned a few Audis over the past 25 years or so, and I haven't been able to leave any of them alone. I've just purchased a D2 S8, and I'm already putting my shopping list together. I've been combing the forum here looking for advice or experience with suspensions on our platform, but I mostly see OEM Replacements. I've been looking into KW or H&R Coilovers, not to slam the car but to update the suspension technology since it came out. There's plenty of examples of slammed D2s out there (not really my thing), but a tasteful 1" or so drop could look nice and improve handling. Anyway I wanted to see if there was some experience hiding out there, and if not why?

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2019, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would start looking for adjustable control arms to keep camber in check unless you don't mind wearing tires out quickly.
034 motorsports has discontinued them but there are rumors someone may make some more, check on quattroworld d2 forum.

That being said, I have h&r coilovers and they are about right, keep in mind the h&r doesn't offer any adjustment on the rear though.

-Richard
Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audinutt
I would start looking for adjustable control arms to keep camber in check unless you don't mind wearing tires out quickly.
034 motorsports has discontinued them but there are rumors someone may make some more, check on quattroworld d2 forum.

That being said, I have h&r coilovers and they are about right, keep in mind the h&r doesn't offer any adjustment on the rear though.

-Richard
I had these adjustable camber plates, there's several versions around, installed on my UrS6 (camber.plates). I can't see the tops of the strut mounts to see at the moment to tell. They might do the trick.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The d2 suspension is much different than the urs6 (I've owned both and rebuilt both suspensions)
Camber plates are not an option on the d2 chassis.
Adjustable bushings might be an option though.

034 motorsports d2 control arms

In this link above an adjustable bushing kit is available, the curved arm on the d2 is the same as the b5/c5 chassis cars.
It's the straight arm that is specific to the d2 chassis.

-Richard

Last edited by audinutt; 06-07-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is great info, thanks.....
Old 06-10-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lower about 1"

If you like the way it rides.. stick with SACHS/OE shocks AND Eibach has a spring kit that will lower your D2 about 1".
( ( I HAVE THE SPRING KIT (used) IF YOU NEED IT..) ) And it WILL tighten-up your ride/suspension too.
I'm in Houston and tried this combo, but, did not like driveway/potholes/bad streets issues, so I went back to new Sachs Shocks (I have 1 new front shock.. cheap.) and used my old springs (new shocks will improve handling quit a bit and are EXCELLENT btw.) Good LUCK.. pc.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pocketchange
If you like the way it rides.. stick with SACHS/OE shocks AND Eibach has a spring kit that will lower your D2 about 1".
( ( I HAVE THE SPRING KIT (used) IF YOU NEED IT..) ) And it WILL tighten-up your ride/suspension too.
I'm in Houston and tried this combo, but, did not like driveway/potholes/bad streets issues, so I went back to new Sachs Shocks (I have 1 new front shock.. cheap.) and used my old springs (new shocks will improve handling quit a bit and are EXCELLENT btw.) Good LUCK.. pc.
Thanks for the response. Do you have a photo of the car with the springs installed? Just curious about the drop. That's probably all I need. I'd put new dampers on all corners too.....
Old 06-11-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

P.S. how much for the springs?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your E-Mail.. pc
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't see it? DM me on this forum please?

Quick Reply: D2 S8 Suspension, OEM vs. Aftermarket