A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 friends....Need some advice with possible auto tranny noise (Please Read)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 friends....Need some advice with possible auto tranny noise (Please Read)

Hi Everyone, Here is the issue that I'm having with the car:

On deceleration I've been hearing a sound coming from the transmission / center differential area. The noise sounds mostly metallic but also can also sometimes sound like a "chirp". This sound occurs at all speeds with my foot off the gas, however is most noticeable when driving at approx 15 mph and shifting the tip into 1st. The noise seems to be somewhat tied to RPM's since it increases in frequency as the shift to 1st occurs. As a side note on all of this, I personally changed the tranny fluid and filter at 65k miles. Car now has 90k miles. Currently the tiptronic shift perfect with no other issues. Software on the car includes APR engine chip and a GIAC tipronic chip.

Oberservations:
1. The sound goes away if I put the transmission into neutral while coasting. Reving the engine in neutral while coasting does not produce the sound. Putting the car back into D while coasting will cause the sound to return.
2. With the car 1) Cold and 2) Rolling in D with foot off gas (under 5 mph) I can hear a faint metallic "clanking" noise which corresponds with the rotation of the driveshaft i.e. 1 faint clank every second or so while rolling. This symptom is only noticeable for a very brief time after warm up.

The car has been in the shop for the past 2 weeks (Very good German Mechanic) and no luck. They spent a good deal of time diagnosing the noise (Not charging me for any of it). One of their suggestions was that the sound is emanating from the transmission area of the car. They checked for: engine vacuum leaks, loose mounts, loose frame bolts, etc. They seem to think that the sound occurs as the engine "torques down" i.e. The "braking" effect of the engine. They suggested that as the engine torques down, it puts strain back on the tranny causing something to make the noise. They have offered to keep looking into the problem. I am very concerned about the transmission being that they cost +$5k and that I am out of warranty.

Here are a few things that I've been thinking of...
1. Bad differential (Maybe the torsen)
2. Some sort of faulty U-joint on the driveshaft
3. Maybe a clogged ATF filter causing the pump to starve for fluid.
4. Worst case...the transmission is crapping out

Any input, advice, or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 12-16-2004, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does the sound come from the inside of tranny or outside.

I remember that in your generation A4 they had sold a triangular brace that held the transmission tighter in some weak spots. Could the torque from engine braking be moving the transmission to thump into the frame under extreame engine braking.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:50 AM

Default I am hoping the noise is coming from outside...Not sure though

I'll be bringing it back into the shop today for furthur diagnosis. I'm really hoping that my tiptronic is not crapping out on me.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I would really check the CV joints and the center support bearing on the drive shaft.....

These can make noise under load and no noise with no load. Also, they are a fairly common faliure point on Audis (at least on my older Audis). Keep us posted!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the input...it's very much appreciated. I'll keep you guys posted