A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8D2 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8D2 transmission problems

So I own the Audi A8D2 1994 year model 4.2 quattro. The other veek on the way back from a longer trip as I pushed the gas pedal the car started shaking a little as if there was something wrong with the fuel injection. This however disappeared the next day and everything was fine. Next morning as I left for work the gears started jumping back and forward and did not stay with the proper gear. I managed to pull through by forcing the correct gear using Tiptronic. Went to a serviceman who read the codes and the result was one fault code: bank2 camshaft position sensor short to ground. Servicemans prognosis was to change this hall-sensor along with the crankshaftsensor and wire + harness. It was his oppinion that these sensors are not communicating the information the transmission needs to run properly.I drove the car home and it remained parked for a veek.

Now as I started it up with the intention of picking up the sensor replacements, the engine oil alarms are screaming(there is plenty of oil in there and no visible leaks) and there is a loud humming sound coming from behind the instruments. Now during driving it shifts gears very suddenly and fast while producing a thump that you can feel in your ***. Rev instrument not working and Tiptronic does not engage and gears do not seem to go all the way to the fourth.

Unfortunately cannot provide fault codes as I do not have the equipment for that. The car has 255 000km on it and before this unfortunate episode everything was in working order and no symptoms or irregularities in engine running or transmission. All I can say is I am very sad to miss all the cruising this summer and I am mentally preparing for a larger service! Needless to say any advice will be appreciated :-)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.

I'd replace that sensor first, considering that was the fault code read by your mechanic. However, it could be coincidental that the transmission is acting up. Does it go into limp mode? You'll know by basically have no power when accelerating.

Then go spend a few $s, GBPs, Euros...whatever, and buy an OBDII cable off Ebay or the like. Download VCDS Lite from the Rosstech website and run a scan. Post your results here and you'll get tons of help.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/
Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you S8ilver!

Will be getting the sensor this veek and look for the OBDII cable aswell. Fyi its Euros that will be spent :-). I have some idea where to find this sensor, I would however appreciate if someone could point the location for me here. Is it a simple task changing it? Just pull the old one off and replace it? Transmission breaking up overnight seems strange as just now it was running smooth with no signs of failure or thumping whatsoever.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

To add to the above; complete power loss at limp mode? Did not pay much attention to that, as the only warning light it presented was engine oil. However I could drive around a couple of blocks regularly at 60 - 80kmh speed.