A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 S8 steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
It wouldn't worry me for the time being, unless you consider it a "violent" vibration.
Nono, it's not that bad. I can cruise at 65-70mph the whole trip and I would barely notice it, if I go over 80mph it gets a little worse though
Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, so they got back to me from the Audi dealership. They recommend doing the following:

1. LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL GUIDE LINKS $3365.16 W/TAX
2. REAR TRIM SHELFS RUBBING ON SUNSHADE $1698.22 W/TAX
3. BOTH FUEL SENDERS SHORTING OUT $118.91 W/TAX
4. BANK 2 V/C GASKET LEAKING $432.98 W/TAX
5. 100K SERVICE IS DUE $536.55 W/TAX

1. I have an invoice as mentioned before that it was done maybe 15k miles ago. The guy told me that all 8 bushings are broken and didn't mentioned the tie rod at all. I spoke with the mechanic that helped me before and he said he didn't saw anyone broken.
2. The sunshade doesn't work, I won't spend $1.7k to fix that, no way in hell!
3. Maybe it makes sense to do it.
4. I won't do it at the dealership.
5. I won't do it at the dealership either.

When I spoke with the guy even said I should do the timing belt job and quoted me around $2.3k. I told him I had an invoice and it was done around 5k miles ago, then he said that since they couldn't find it on Audi records they suggested it anyway. But in the end he didn't send it with the final list.
In summary, does any of this makes sense to anybody? At this point I don't trust a single word they told me.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thphon
Ok, so they got back to me from the Audi dealership. They recommend doing the following:

1. LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL GUIDE LINKS $3365.16 W/TAX
2. REAR TRIM SHELFS RUBBING ON SUNSHADE $1698.22 W/TAX
3. BOTH FUEL SENDERS SHORTING OUT $118.91 W/TAX
4. BANK 2 V/C GASKET LEAKING $432.98 W/TAX
5. 100K SERVICE IS DUE $536.55 W/TAX

1. I have an invoice as mentioned before that it was done maybe 15k miles ago. The guy told me that all 8 bushings are broken and didn't mentioned the tie rod at all. I spoke with the mechanic that helped me before and he said he didn't saw anyone broken.
2. The sunshade doesn't work, I won't spend $1.7k to fix that, no way in hell!
3. Maybe it makes sense to do it.
4. I won't do it at the dealership.
5. I won't do it at the dealership either.

When I spoke with the guy even said I should do the timing belt job and quoted me around $2.3k. I told him I had an invoice and it was done around 5k miles ago, then he said that since they couldn't find it on Audi records they suggested it anyway. But in the end he didn't send it with the final list.
In summary, does any of this makes sense to anybody? At this point I don't trust a single word they told me.

Thanks,
Leo
Crooks! They sound exactly like my local dealer. You can buy another D2 for $6151.82. They're insane. Find a reputable independent shop (if you can't/don't want to do any of the work yourself).

1. An independent shop will still probably cost you a good $1500-2000 including parts, but you could have all the arms done. I'm at 73k and debating doing mine some day, but I'll do it myself for ~$500 and a lot of free swearing.
2. What's wrong with the sunshade? It just rubs? Who cares?! If it bothers you that much find one on Ebay or a used parts place. I see them pop up from time to time.
3. Ok, cheap.
4. You can do both sides yourself (very easy) for about $50 and 2 hours if you take your time. I can't see this costing more than $250-300 at an indy shop.
5. What's included in their "100k mile service"? Oil and cabin filters? Spark plugs? We had my wife's Accord in for an alignment, and they wanted $335 to change 4 spark plugs. $16 and 30 minutes and it was done at home.

If the timing belt was done it was done. Call the shop on the invoice? Otherwise $2.3k isn't totally out of the realm of what that would cost at a shop...maybe $500 cheaper at an indy.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S8ilver
Crooks! They sound exactly like my local dealer. You can buy another D2 for $6151.82. They're insane. Find a reputable independent shop (if you can't/don't want to do any of the work yourself).

1. An independent shop will still probably cost you a good $1500-2000 including parts, but you could have all the arms done. I'm at 73k and debating doing mine some day, but I'll do it myself for ~$500 and a lot of free swearing.
2. What's wrong with the sunshade? It just rubs? Who cares?! If it bothers you that much find one on Ebay or a used parts place. I see them pop up from time to time.
3. Ok, cheap.
4. You can do both sides yourself (very easy) for about $50 and 2 hours if you take your time. I can't see this costing more than $250-300 at an indy shop.
5. What's included in their "100k mile service"? Oil and cabin filters? Spark plugs? We had my wife's Accord in for an alignment, and they wanted $335 to change 4 spark plugs. $16 and 30 minutes and it was done at home.

If the timing belt was done it was done. Call the shop on the invoice? Otherwise $2.3k isn't totally out of the realm of what that would cost at a shop...maybe $500 cheaper at an indy.
1. Yes, I've been told that in parts replacing all front control arms should be around $600 plus around $1k in labor. The guy that sold me the car recommended http://www.fcpeuro.com/Audi-parts/S8...003&m=20&e=985.
But still my problem is to find an indy shop and still bugs me they didn't mention the tie rod at all, all you described before happens to me, weird.
2. It won't go up when I push the button, it gets stuck. But when I picked the car a couple of hours ago it was all the way up. I'll try later to put it down and see what happens, not worried at all about it.
3. The price isn't $118.91, is $1181.36, I thought over the phone he said something around $1K, but I confirmed it on the invoice they gave me. I have no idea how it can get to that price, but again, I can live with it the way is working now.
4. I don't know the first thing about it, I'll let the mechanic do the work, hehe.
5. I have an invoice for an oil and oil filter change around 102k, so pretty sure this is covered or close enough. I'll find online what a 100k service involves just to be sure.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

But still my problem is to find an indy shop and still bugs me they didn't mention the tie rod at all, all you described before happens to me, weird.
silverd2 made that comment, not you
Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

$7,214.27???

I'm in the wrong business! If I ever even thought about shelling out that kind of money to fix my S8, I'd crash it into a tree and collect the insurance check.

But seriously, check independent shops. Where are you located?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

1. Yes, I've been told that in parts replacing all front control arms should be around $600 plus around $1k in labor. The guy that sold me the car recommended http://www.fcpeuro.com/Audi-parts/S8...003&m=20&e=985.
2. It won't go up when I push the button, it gets stuck. But when I picked the car a couple of hours ago it was all the way up. I'll try later to put it down and see what happens, not worried at all about it.
3. The price isn't $118.91, is $1181.36, I thought over the phone he said something around $1K, but I confirmed it on the invoice they gave me. I have no idea how it can get to that price, but again, I can live with it the way is working now.
4. I don't know the first thing about it, I'll let the mechanic do the work, hehe.
5. I have an invoice for an oil and oil filter change around 102k, so pretty sure this is covered or close enough. I'll find online what a 100k service involves just to be sure.
#2 on your list: My sunshade does the same thing. I noticed when the temperature outside gets hot, the sunshade sticks. I just try to be preemptive and put it up before I will need it.

Timing Belt Service is a RED FLAG to me. I was quoted by my Audi dealer $1900.00 and the service tech told me, "They'd do me a favor and clean my sunroof drains for free". What a bunch of DB's!

I had the timing belt service done by a trusted independent mechanic for $1300.00. And durning that service, I had the front engine mount and passenger side valve gasket replaced. Total bill: $1535.00.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2851557

Good luck in finding a quality and trusted mechanic. I hate hearing all the problems you are having with your new S8. They are truly great cars.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

1.The guy told me that all 8 bushings are broken and didn't mentioned the tie rod at all.
I highly doubt that; ask to see 8 broken bushings and I bet they can't show you any. It sounds like this stealership is lying to you. You should post their info on here and I'll call to get a quote on a spark plug replacement ...better yet, I'll tell them I think I need new distributor wires and glow plugs

I wouldn't worry about tie rod ends much; that's an easy add-on to a control arm replacement job.

Last edited by S8ilver; 09-04-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

$7,214.27???

I'm in the wrong business! If I ever even thought about shelling out that kind of money to fix my S8, I'd crash it into a tree and collect the insurance check.

But seriously, check independent shops. Where are you located?
Orlando, FL. This Audi dealership is the only one for Greater Orlando Area and even Daytona, I guess that's why they don't care
Old 09-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I highly doubt that; ask to see 8 broken bushings and I bet they can't show you any. It sounds like this stealership is lying to you. You should post their info on here and I'll call to get a quote on a spark plug replacement ...better yet, I'll tell them I think I need new distributor wires and glow plugs

I wouldn't worry about tie rod ends much; that's an easy add-on to a control arm replacement job.
Hehe, I like stealership
But that's the whole point, both front lower and upper control arms have being replaced 15k miles ago. They don't show any brand, true, but could have they lasted this little?

Quick Reply: 03 S8 steering problem