A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Temp Sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Temp Sensor??

Hey guys,

So I think my coolant temp sensor has gone faulty. The dash warning light comes up but its temp never goes up past operating temperature. Actually, since its been getting colder, just like last winter its running a little cooler than it does during the summer. It never overheats, and even makes the warning when I first turn the car on from sitting all night and is bare cold.

It would usually go off and go back to my dash menu, then occasionally go back and start beeping the alert. Coolant tank has fluid in it and like I said it never gets over temperature.

Havent hooked up my VAG scanner yet but was wondering if any others have changed this or know where I can source the part.

Also the location of the sensor and how hard to change?? Havent dug that far into the coolant system.

Thanks fellas
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by '01-S8
Hey guys,

So I think my coolant temp sensor has gone faulty. The dash warning light comes up but its temp never goes up past operating temperature. Actually, since its been getting colder, just like last winter its running a little cooler than it does during the summer. It never overheats, and even makes the warning when I first turn the car on from sitting all night and is bare cold.

It would usually go off and go back to my dash menu, then occasionally go back and start beeping the alert. Coolant tank has fluid in it and like I said it never gets over temperature.

Havent hooked up my VAG scanner yet but was wondering if any others have changed this or know where I can source the part.

Also the location of the sensor and how hard to change?? Havent dug that far into the coolant system.

Thanks fellas
What specifically does the warning look like?

Could be a problem with the level switch in the coolant tank or the connection. If you pull the wire plug on the bottom of the coolant tank and short the poles together it should kill the warning, if it's a level switch problem.

The coolant temp sensor is pretty easy to change and cheap...you can do it without even losing coolant. I've done it on a couple of cars. The sensor has 4 wires for two separate sensors...one sends signal to the gauge and the other sends a signal to the ECM to adjust fuel mixture...if the ECM sensor was way off you'd probably have an idle problem when cold (or warm, depending) and be burning very rich or very lean.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
What specifically does the warning look like?

Could be a problem with the level switch in the coolant tank or the connection. If you pull the wire plug on the bottom of the coolant tank and short the poles together it should kill the warning, if it's a level switch problem.

The coolant temp sensor is pretty easy to change and cheap...you can do it without even losing coolant. I've done it on a couple of cars. The sensor has 4 wires for two separate sensors...one sends signal to the gauge and the other sends a signal to the ECM to adjust fuel mixture...if the ECM sensor was way off you'd probably have an idle problem when cold (or warm, depending) and be burning very rich or very lean.

Coolant Temp Sensor??-fiuzbq3.jpg

Just beeps on the dash. No idle or running problems at all.

Where are the sensors and plugs located?

If I follow the lines coming to and from the coolant tank will I be able to find the plugs i assume?

What would be the procedure for checking which plug/sensor it is?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default That is the coolant level warning.

Hey guys,

Thanks fellas
Check for leaks and top it off with pink coolant.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Level sensor in the tank is whats wrong
Old 10-16-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just beeps on the dash. No idle or running problems at all.

Where are the sensors and plugs located?

If I follow the lines coming to and from the coolant tank will I be able to find the plugs i assume?

What would be the procedure for checking which plug/sensor it is?

Thanks
Unplug the sensor right on the bottom of the tank (at the sensor)...it's a "locked" plug...use a small flathead screwdriver in the slot on the plug, then pull off...short the terminals together in the plug (not the sensor)...this will imitate the sensor closing correctly with proper level. If the warning goes away, the problem is the level sensor in the tank. It's not replaceable alone...integral part of the tank.

The above applies only if you are sure the tank is over the minimum level.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Problem solved!

Unplugged the sensor, cleaned connections and topped off with fluid and good to go.

Luckily for me, the local auto parts store carries the VW/Audi G11, G12, G13 Pink fluid and was able to grab some. But $30 for a gallon of coolant! DAMN!!

Hahaha.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Luckily for me, the local auto parts store carries the VW/Audi G11, G12, G13 Pink fluid and was able to grab some. But $30 for a gallon of coolant! DAMN!!
Certainly hope it's not G11 (blue/green), not mixable with G12!!
Never heard of G13...
G12, G12+, G12++ is what you'r after.
$30 per gallon is what, about $8 per litre? Cheaper than VW sells it