A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Any way to get an Emergency Key from other than Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to get an Emergency Key from other than Audi?

I recently purchased a 2014 A7. It came with two key fobs but I see no plastic emergency key. Audi dealer wants $130 for a key and programming. Blank (uncut and unprogrammed) emergency keys go for mere $8 on eBay. Does anyone know how to replace an emergency key without going through the dealer? What equipment does a locksmith need to program one of these keys?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, you can't
Old 07-21-2017, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The key can be purchased form any number of authorized resllers but the dealer will still have to program it. There are also some locksmiths that claim they are certified by Audi to sell and program keys. Google it.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The key can be purchased form any number of authorized resllers but the dealer will still have to program it. There are also some locksmiths that claim they are certified by Audi to sell and program keys. Google it.

You have to watch out with those guys. We have had customers that went to a "certified audi locksmith" and just wasted their money. Im 99% sure Audi does not certify 3rd party things like that, but hey i could be wrong. I just have not seen it.

In most cases its just like those "Certified Audi Mechanics" some people bring their parts to. When its just some guy with the audi rings on the garage door of his shop.

As far as the key goes, $130 isnt that bad of a price for the key. Granted, its one expensive piece of plastic! But its whats inside that counts right?! We sell that key for $53. Which is most likely lower than what the dealer is charging you(prob $70) and then its prob 1/2 hour of labor instead of a full hour for programming.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by audionlineparts
You have to watch out with those guys. We have had customers that went to a "certified audi locksmith" and just wasted their money. Im 99% sure Audi does not certify 3rd party things like that, but hey i could be wrong. I just have not seen it.

In most cases its just like those "Certified Audi Mechanics" some people bring their parts to. When its just some guy with the audi rings on the garage door of his shop.

As far as the key goes, $130 isnt that bad of a price for the key. Granted, its one expensive piece of plastic! But its whats inside that counts right?! We sell that key for $53. Which is most likely lower than what the dealer is charging you(prob $70) and then its prob 1/2 hour of labor instead of a full hour for programming.
My indy tech told me Audi does have a key certification process. It reqiores a significant investment in training, equipment and a certification fee.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My indy tech told me Audi does have a key certification process. It reqiores a significant investment in training, equipment and a certification fee.
Very well could be. My area is so saturated with dealerships(7 within 20 miles of me) that it may not make sense for a 3rd party locksmith to spend the time and money to become certified and thats prob why i havent seen any.