A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

TDI ENGINE WARMUP IN WINTER

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TDI ENGINE WARMUP IN WINTER

I have read so many things on this, and have gone back and fourth on it so many times. So I figure, lets see what the TDI heads at AudiWorld have to say about it. Do you guys let your TDI warmup before take off during the winter months? If so, how long? If not, why?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Let me preface this with I DO NOT OWN A DIESEL but from what I have read on the subject what I find does make a lot of sense.

Diesel engines tend to have a larger oil and coolant capacity so they will take longer to come up to operating temps. From what I have read from several sources you really only need to let them idle 30 - 60 seconds to get the engine lubed and start warming up before taking off. Be gentle on the throttle until then engine come up to temp and then you are golden. If you have an engine block or oil heater you can plug in then that will be very beneficial in the winter time as well. The sources I have read all recommend against initial prolonged idling because then engine will take a LONG TIME to warm up in idle mode since it is not under a load yet.

The big semi engines can take 20 - 30 minutes of driving until they get up to operating temp conditions.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The diesel engine needs to be under load to generate adequate heat.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmackenz
I have read so many things on this, and have gone back and fourth on it so many times. So I figure, lets see what the TDI heads at AudiWorld have to say about it. Do you guys let your TDI warmup before take off during the winter months? If so, how long? If not, why?
I have a 2015 TDI.

Cold Canadian winters.

I get in the car, start the engine, turn on steering wheel heater, put on the seatbelt, put on rear window defroster, turn on seat heater, check if rear view mirror defroster is on and turn on the windshield defroster. All this takes the better part of a minute. Then I drive away.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Don't the diesels have the auxiliary (electric) heater?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Don't the diesels have the auxiliary (electric) heater?
‘yes they do. I just start and go. No warm up time
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (12-06-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They do have auxiliary heaters but the ones fitted currently just use an electric element to heat the air for windscreen defrosting etc... it does nothing to help heat the engine.

The answer is simply treat it just like a petrol engine, drive it fairly gently until it's warmed up. Because diesels generate less heat, it will take long to warm up anway.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything you said about warm up procedures except:

Originally Posted by Valpo A7
The big semi engines can take 20 - 30 minutes of driving until they get up to operating temp conditions.
The engine in my semi could take 20 to 30 minutes if I just let it sit there and idle. When you start driving while the engine is still cold, that 15 liter engine is a full operating temperature within 5 miles.

Back on topic, I agree with what you said. Start the car in the winter, let it idle for a minute or so to get the fluids moving then set off. Keep the engine under 4,000 RPM until it's warmed up. This is generally thought of as the quickest and preferred way to warm up the engine on cold days.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by deabionni
I agree with everything you said about warm up procedures except:

The engine in my semi could take 20 to 30 minutes if I just let it sit there and idle. When you start driving while the engine is still cold, that 15 liter engine is a full operating temperature within 5 miles.

Back on topic, I agree with what you said. Start the car in the winter, let it idle for a minute or so to get the fluids moving then set off. Keep the engine under 4,000 RPM until it's warmed up. This is generally thought of as the quickest and preferred way to warm up the engine on cold days.
15 liter engine? What kind of tank are you driving?
Old 12-14-2019, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
15 liter engine? What kind of tank are you driving?
My work truck is a 2020 Kenworth T680 with a Cummins ISX15 engine.

Quick Reply: TDI ENGINE WARMUP IN WINTER