A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Sanity check on color preference. . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanity check on color preference. . .

After being very happy with my Q5, I'm contemplating upgrading to an A6 or A7. I love the color Aviator Blue available on the A6. It has more personality than the standard black, white, silver, but it's not ostentatious -- kind of a subtle beauty. I love the A7 for it increased cargo space and gorgeous styling. Unfortunately Aviator Blue is not offered on the A7. You can probably see where this is going.

Anyone else here contemplate swallowing the painful $3900 charge for Aviator blue on an A7? I'm guessing probably no, since my google searches have failed to unearth a single photo of an A7 in that color. But you can't know for sure unless you ask. On the off chance anyone has seen an A7 in this color, any opinions? I can't tell if I'm nuts for even considering it. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2014, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Although I haven't seen Aviator Blue in person, it looks great in the pics I found. Understated, not flashy, and a color one could love for a long time.

You could always wait a year and see; it would suck to pay the extra $4k and then Audi offer it standard next year.

Otherwise I say "Go for it" - or else you will kick yourself every time you see an A6 in that color. Plus it'd be pretty cool to have (virtually) the ONLY A-Blue A7 in the world!

-Tom
Old 07-27-2014, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You sound normal to me. If you love the color, pay the price. The money is worth it for a factory paint job.

If I was considering a optional color, it would be something not found on any A6/A7. I tend towards the red and blue pearls. Most of the standard colors offered are gray with slight tint.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you seen an A6 in Aviator Blue in person or just pics on internet? I've yet to see one first hand, but the pics I've seen of Aviator Blue (no offense intended) look kind of bland, not that Audi's standard color pallet is all that exciting....personally, if you like blue, I'd say go for the standard Moonlight Blue...dark and classy looking.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This seems like a good place to drop the Audi blue comparison chart -

Name:  Audiblues02.png
Views: 1064
Size:  64.4 KB
Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenspeed
You sound normal to me. If you love the color, pay the price. The money is worth it for a factory paint job.
+1

I was able to get my special order done when the pricing was a bit less, but I would still pay the current rate to get the A7 in my favorite color.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
Have you seen an A6 in Aviator Blue in person or just pics on internet? I've yet to see one first hand, but the pics I've seen of Aviator Blue (no offense intended) look kind of bland, not that Audi's standard color pallet is all that exciting....personally, if you like blue, I'd say go for the standard Moonlight Blue...dark and classy looking.
I haven't seen an Aviator Blue A6 in person. I've looked all over, but they're rare as unicorns in my neck of the woods. I get the sense based on net pics that it's one of those colors that changes significantly in different light, which is a plus for me. It can look like a tad faint greenish gray -- I see why it could look bland to you -- but in darker settings takes on a full greenish blue. I won't order that color until I can find one to see with my own eyes, though. I almost bought my Q5 in lava grey without seeing the color first. Then, at the last minute, I found one, and it was way browner than I expected and fortunately I had time to change my mind.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pratfall
After being very happy with my Q5, I'm contemplating upgrading to an A6 or A7. I love the color Aviator Blue available on the A6. It has more personality than the standard black, white, silver, but it's not ostentatious -- kind of a subtle beauty. I love the A7 for it increased cargo space and gorgeous styling. Unfortunately Aviator Blue is not offered on the A7. You can probably see where this is going.

Anyone else here contemplate swallowing the painful $3900 charge for Aviator blue on an A7? I'm guessing probably no, since my google searches have failed to unearth a single photo of an A7 in that color. But you can't know for sure unless you ask. On the off chance anyone has seen an A7 in this color, any opinions? I can't tell if I'm nuts for even considering it. Thanks!
No, but I did spring the $3600 for only the second Brilliant Red out there in the U.S. Please don't pay your dealer list--cost is 7% off adn dealer doesn't need to profit further. . . Very happy with the color and all of the salesman and service guys at the dealer line up to check it out when I come in!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
This seems like a good place to drop the Audi blue comparison chart -

Thank you, Tenspeed! That's really a neat reference. Are there others? Where'd you find that?
-Tom
Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

You can go to the Audi UK site and see all the custom colors. It's really an amazing selection. Just build a car there and select the Audi exclusive colors button - you get taken to a color wheel of all the colors.

Quick Reply: Sanity check on color preference. . .