A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems?

How problem free are you finding your Audi A7 experience.

Unfortunately for me within 600 miles I discovered that my new A7 was leaking fluid. Turned out to be a defective coolant pump seal. Fortunately the problem was discovered before the seal completely failed and I was left stranded at the side of the road.

Around the same time I noticed a cross between a rattling and scratching sound coming from the front left corner of the dash. It remains.

I then discovered that my A7's electronic dipstick has registered a 50% reduction in the oil level between max and min. after only 750 miles. Possible excessive oil consumption.

I wonder what the future holds.

Unlike in the US, here in Canada we don't have a lemon law. We do, however, have an arbitration process. To take advantage of it, the parties agree that it's decisions are final and binding. You must waive your right to pursue the issues in court. Unfortunately this arbitration process is paid for by the manufacturers. Hardly seems fair.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Knuck
How problem free are you finding your Audi A7 experience.

Unfortunately for me within 600 miles I discovered that my new A7 was leaking fluid. Turned out to be a defective coolant pump seal. Fortunately the problem was discovered before the seal completely failed and I was left stranded at the side of the road.

Around the same time I noticed a cross between a rattling and scratching sound coming from the front left corner of the dash. It remains.

I then discovered that my A7's electronic dipstick has registered a 50% reduction in the oil level between max and min. after only 750 miles. Possible excessive oil consumption.

I wonder what the future holds.

Unlike in the US, here in Canada we don't have a lemon law. We do, however, have an arbitration process. To take advantage of it, the parties agree that it's decisions are final and binding. You must waive your right to pursue the issues in court. Unfortunately this arbitration process is paid for by the manufacturers. Hardly seems fair.
I have 18000 km on mine, the only repair I had on it so far is the light strip under one of the doors.

I am having a new issue, rubber gasket shredding under the outside mirror. No biggie.

There is a problem with the wiper blade assembly, they don't like the Canadian winters and get overly stiff in cold weather, don't clean the glass properly. This problem is not unique to the A7, other models have the same issue. Audi Canada is aware of it and it is being investigated.

High oil consumption is normal in the first few weeks as the rings are not yet seated and let some oil leak through.

Some folks have mentioned having a noise similar to what you are describing. It is related to the HUD. Talk to your Audi service about it.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks fkaufman. I will raise the HUD issue with Audi. I agree with you that high oil consumption is normal initially. I don't know how much oil is represented by half the electronic dipstick on the A7. Our 2010 A4 takes about a quart to get it from min to max. half a quart in 750 miles seems like a lot even during break-in. Hopefully this is a non-issue.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No problems so far (knock on my real audi wood dash)

1450 miles, no problems other than a got a "light bulb error" on the dash the other way, but it went away right away and I haven't seen it since.

I seem to, however, set something in the dash where the car is now officially nagging me. The other day I had the windows down and the air on and it told me to shut the windows.

This morning it let me know the phone was connected to the car (which was nice, but I already knew that).

I'm kinda waiting to see if it has any stock tips.....
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DaveZmeyr
1450 miles, no problems other than a got a "light bulb error" on the dash the other way, but it went away right away and I haven't seen it since.

I seem to, however, set something in the dash where the car is now officially nagging me. The other day I had the windows down and the air on and it told me to shut the windows.

This morning it let me know the phone was connected to the car (which was nice, but I already knew that).

Cracked me up. Maybe something between "Christine" and "My Father the Car".
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

You need to change the Marital Status option in the MMI from Single to Married.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Per chance I already did that and that's why it's nagging???
Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Per chance I already did that and that's why it's nagging???
It knows if you read the manual or not...