A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Pet peeves

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
The question was whether you can turn off the radio and not have it come back on....yes you can. However, if you read my post above, I note that everything else is shut off also, as you also noted.
Which means the RADIO (on its own) can not be turned off. The MMI can be, but that wasn't the question (or the requirement).
Old 03-21-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fkaufman

If you have a way of doing it, I would love to hear because neither my very capable Audi service dealer nor Audi Canada customer service could offer a solution.
My solution is simple - put your car in park - turn the volume down - shut off the car.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
My solution is simple - put your car in park - turn the volume down - shut off the car.
And that's where the rub is. It comes back at Volume 3, not at 0 as it was when it is turned off. The same way, it comes back at Volume 15 if you turn it off at any setting above 15. If you shut down at any volume between 3 and 15, it comes back at that level. We could not find any MMI settings to change this, not even in the hidden advanced menu or with VAG-COM.

So your solution, which was the first that came to my mind when I just discovered this issue has been tried but does not work!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
And that's where the rub is. It comes back at Volume 3, not at 0 as it was when it is turned off. The same way, it comes back at Volume 15 if you turn it off at any setting above 15. If you shut down at any volume between 3 and 15, it comes back at that level. We could not find any MMI settings to change this, not even in the hidden advanced menu or with VAG-COM.

So your solution, which was the first that came to my mind when I just discovered this issue has been tried but does not work!
They must have fixed this issue in the 2014 A7. I just tested it in mine. When I turned volume to 0, turned off car and came back hour later, volume was still mute when I turned car on.

Last edited by SDAudi22; 03-21-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDAudi22
They must have fixed this issue in the 2014 A7. I just tested it in mine. When I turned volume to 0, turned off car and came back hour later, volume was still mute when I turned car on.
Same for 2013 (S7). Turn it down to mute, turn off and restarts in mute. Cool.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Another solution: place a blank SD card in a slot and set it as the source. When the car is turned back on, no audio is present.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SDAudi22
That's strange - my 2014 A7 has the sound come back on at 2 when you start the car with it muted. And the highest it will start the volume at is 12. So I wonder if the differences are due to which audio system, MMI firmware revision, or some regional issue?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Another solution: place a blank SD card in a slot and set it as the source. When the car is turned back on, no audio is present.
Actually, I have the opposite problem. I have a 64 GB SD card in, and if the car has been off for more then 10 minutes, it takes a little over a minute before music will start playing from where it left off.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ericbergan
Actually, I have the opposite problem. I have a 64 GB SD card in, and if the car has been off for more then 10 minutes, it takes a little over a minute before music will start playing from where it left off.
While I am only guessing on this, it seems the SD card directory is cached and it takes 10 minutes or so for the cache to clear. As you have a large card with likely many entries in the directory, it takes a minute or so to read it all and write it into the cache.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, that is a work-around. Just have to remember to switch to the SD card to be the source every time you finished listening to the radio in addition to turning the volume down.

However, the original issue sure is a peeve.

Quick Reply: Pet peeves