A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection

Hey folks, my A7 is due in around the middle of March from a mid December order. The wait has been painful. I have been looking at paint protection since I drive mostly freeway miles. Would appreciate any perspective you have on different products. My dealer uses Venture Shield from 3M. In addition, they use XZILON for the exterior areas not protected with Venture Shield and the interior. Welcome any comments on experience.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wouldn't own a car without a clear bra. It is very inexpensive protection from rock chips, sand rash, winter debris and other road schrapnel. Colorado will sandblast front ends without it. I've used 3M on many vehicles with no color changes, fading, or peeling.

IME the front bumper, 19" hood and front fenders, headlamps, a pillars, mirrors, rocker panels, rear bumper deck at trunk opening, and door cups were plenty of coverage. Many will do full hood and full front bumpers. Some even do the whole car but that is overkill.

Get it scheduled now so it's done while your car is new and unblemished. You'll be happy about doing so.

I otherwise use a wax or good sealant for everything else including clear bra. YMMV here.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Do a global search on the AW forums for "Xpel Ultimate" and check out "Opti-Coat". Great stuff.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

+1 for Opti Coat.

But there's also CQuartz

These are more like second clear coats for your paint rather than a protective film.

Xpel Ultimate is more of a self-healing film.

Either way, you might want to avoid going through the dealer and source your own pro based on what you want to have installed.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Do a global search on the AW forums for "Xpel Ultimate" and check out "Opti-Coat". Great stuff.
Thanks. Just getting familiar with the website. Self help worked great.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chawk
Hey folks, my A7 is due in around the middle of March from a mid December order. The wait has been painful. I have been looking at paint protection since I drive mostly freeway miles. Would appreciate any perspective you have on different products. My dealer uses Venture Shield from 3M. In addition, they use XZILON for the exterior areas not protected with Venture Shield and the interior. Welcome any comments on experience.
Mine is a highway car also. I did XPel Ultimate on front bumper, lights, full hood and rear view mirrors. Also did ClearPlex on windshield. 2 weeks later got sprayed by gravel truck going 80 on the highway, only body/windsheild damage was a small dent on top of hood.

Had it done by independent Xpel installer who also did tinting (Madico).

Good Luck!

Dave
Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

My A7 is supposed to hit the dealer by the end of the month.

How much should I budget for this type of treatment? My Audi dealer is in Orlando.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by onthebeam
My A7 is supposed to hit the dealer by the end of the month.

How much should I budget for this type of treatment? My Audi dealer is in Orlando.
My Xpel Ultimate full hood and front fenders with wrapped edges, full bumper, lights, A pillars, mirrors, rocker panels and rear bumper piece by the trunk opening with full paint prep cost about $1500 in the Boston area. All pieces were custom cut by the installer - no computer pre-cut kits. I added Opti-Coat Pro which added $300 for the full car and wheels. No regrets whatsoever and still looks great after 21 months.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My Xpel Ultimate full hood and front fenders with wrapped edges, full bumper, lights, A pillars, mirrors, rocker panels and rear bumper piece by the trunk opening with full paint prep cost about $1500 in the Boston area. All pieces were custom cut by the installer - no computer pre-cut kits. I added Opti-Coat Pro which added $300 for the full car and wheels. No regrets whatsoever and still looks great after 21 months.
I had the same Xpel Ultimate work done out in Northern CA as Snag and it was all $1500 out the door. Still haven't done the Opti-Coat Pro but its on the TODO list.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by borong
I had the same Xpel Ultimate work done out in Northern CA as Snag and it was all $1500 out the door. Still haven't done the Opti-Coat Pro but its on the TODO list.
Do the Opti. In the last year, I've only waxed the car once and it didn't need it even then. After a good hand wash, it still looks like I also just waxed it. I'm definitely a fan.

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-12-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection