A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Other cars in same price range? Is the A7 too much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other cars in same price range? Is the A7 too much?

I REALLY like the A7, though with all of the options it is about $80k. My wife thinks it is overpriced for what you get, especially under the hood. I currently own a 2.0 Q5 and I honestly think it is a bit overpriced for what you get, though I think the quality of interior comes into play.

1. What other cars from other companies would you consider to be competing with the A7 in the same price range? Is the A7 more, less, about the same as those other cars?
2. After owning one, what are your thoughts on the price when considering the quality of the materials, ride, overall experience, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Skip the Innovation Pkg & B&O audio, and save something like $8-10k. Depends on your priorities, but IMO those two admittedly nice options are just not price justified.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been a long time Audi buyer, but you owe it to yourself to look at the competition especially the new BMW Grand Sport which I think is stunning. You may want to also look at the new Lexus GS F-Sport. Not my style, but for some it might be perfect.

I miss nothing under the hood and find the supercharged 3.0 plenty, but only you can tell that based on your style of driving.

Assuming your in the US that $80K figure must include the B&O stereo. That would be one option to look closely at and see if its worth it. For playing CDs its unparalleled, but if your listening to Sat Radio or music from the iPhone/MP3 that's compressed you might want to think about the Bose. Listen to both, but do it while driving for best real world test.

I couldn't be happier with the car and that's after owing 4 A6s. It makes driving to work almost tolerable.

In case you missed it this is Dan Neil's review and one of my favorite

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...891964162.html
Old 06-28-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. What other cars from other companies would you consider to be competing with the A7 in the same price range? Is the A7 more, less, about the same as those other cars?

BMW 650 Gran Coupe
Mercedes CLS
Entry level Panamera

The A7 looks better than both the CLS and the Gran Coupe… The Panamera looks better IMO, but it’s stripped “bare” @ $80K.

2. After owning one, what are your thoughts on the price when considering the quality of the materials, ride, overall experience, etc.?

I’ve had some really irritating issues w/ mine – I’ll spare you the details, but I think it’s nonsense having to run back and forth to the dealership w/ a car of this class/price (And my dealership is 27mi away). The ride quality is spectacular, but it feels a little underpowered at times… You can take that w/ a grain of salt as I drive cars fast and hard (at times). I’d imagine that most guys buying this automobile are happy and don’t use it to 70% of its potential – Just a guess I’ve gathered from lurking in the forums. There’s always the TBD Stasis ECU upgrade to address and mitigate that issue; or you can wait for the S7. Overall, I’m happy w/ it – Looking to get into a CLS63 or the new M6 in a couple of years (dream big, right?!!).
Old 06-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 80MGB
Skip the Innovation Pkg & B&O audio, and save something like $8-10k. Depends on your priorities, but IMO those two admittedly nice options are just not price justified.
I was confused by all of the packages, I don't care about the B&O, I like the HUD and the other technology and when I priced it out it came out to somewhere close to $80k...does that not sound right?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stanw
I was confused by all of the packages, I don't care about the B&O, I like the HUD and the other technology and when I priced it out it came out to somewhere close to $80k...does that not sound right?
Keep in mind that the Innovation package includes the LED headlights and all the Drivers Assistance package options. The USA config allows you to select all of them, but they overlap. Loaded up with Innovation, 20" Sport, Cold Weather, and Metallic paint I'm just below $75K which is what we bought. Sans B&O

Not sure what dealers are discounting this days on top of that
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
Keep in mind that the Innovation package includes the LED headlights and all the Drivers Assistance package options. The USA config allows you to select all of them, but they overlap. Loaded up with Innovation, 20" Sport, Cold Weather, and Metallic paint I'm just below $75K which is what we bought. Sans B&O

Not sure what dealers are discounting this days on top of that
$75k before TTL or after?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Before as TTL varies from state to state. Not sure about all States, but in IL you can net your trade against the purchase price and only pay tax on the difference.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the new A7 fully loaded Phantom Black and my only complain its that it feels underpowered at times with the 3.0, I only wish I would-it wait for the S7 but other than that for me the car it's great.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My fully loaded (except the B&O Radio) cost me about $70K after loyalty rebate of $2K. I insist that dealers work from cost up rather than resale down. I do have the innovation pckg and the 20" wheels on a prestige A7. Take your time and work several dealers and you can get this deal too.

Comparable cars are the Panamera and the fuggly BMW Grand Turismo due to the hatch. If you do not want a hatch, there are now way more choices. The MB CLS is nice as is the A6, BMW 5 series. Even the new Buick Regal looks good to me. But you know what they say... once you go German, you will never go back.

Around town, I always drive in the "S" mode as the car is way quicker in response. On the highway, always drive in "D" mode for the gas mileage. Power is always great anywhere and I plan to ECU flash when Stasis tune comes out later this year. I love my A7 and the only other car I would want is the Panamara Turbo.

People come up to me constantly to tell me they live the A7.

Quick Reply: Other cars in same price range? Is the A7 too much?