A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Opinions Wanted: 19" Sport vs. 20" Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions Wanted: 19" Sport vs. 20" Sport

For the record, I now live in Delray Beach, Florida; the roads are flat and well maintained, nothing like I encountered in/around NY tri state, where I drove to work for over 35 years, and saw cars literally disappear into potholes, disguised by slush or snow.

So that said, what would you suggest and WHY?. My dealer recommends 20" Sport set to "Comfort", which frankly sounds counter intuitive to the entire concept of Sport.

Am looking for some "real world" comparisons, especially from owners in states with well maintained roads. Interesting to note that the S7 comes standard with 19".

What am I gaining from going w/20's and what would I be giving up?

Thanks as always for your replies!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick - Are you talking about an A7 or an S7? I live in the Chicago area and have not had any issues running the 20" setup. If you are looking at an A7, choosing Comfort on the settings menu does nothing for the suspension. That is an S7 option with the adjustable suspension. My A7 was an early one that had the 20" wheels but not the SPORT package, which I think gives you a different spring setup. Maybe that's what the dealer meant? Get an A7 with the regular suspension and the 20" sport wheels??
Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 19's will give you a smoother ride and they're better protected with a bigger tire. The 20's won't be as smooth, will cost more to replace, but will look MUCH better. I don't have the sport package but recently went from 19" wheels to some oem RS5 wheels. Not a fan on how the stock 20" wheels look.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2837405
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

No; I'm speaking about the 20" Sport in the "Comfort" setting - as opposed to the 19" Sport. I happen to like the open look and styling of the 19" wheel,but am looking for opinions solely on handling and ride qualities of each package - especially in states that have "pothole free" roads.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo
No; I'm speaking about the 20" Sport in the "Comfort" setting - as opposed to the 19" Sport. I happen to like the open look and styling of the 19" wheel,but am looking for opinions solely on handling and ride qualities of each package - especially in states that have "pothole free" roads.
since this is in the a7 forum, i'm assuming the question is in regards to the A7. the "comfort" setting as you describe varies the steering effort by changing the electronic power steering mechanism so that the steering input requires less effort in comfrot mode and more in dynamic mode, also the transmission in comfort is constantly trying to get into a higher gear quicker for better mileage and not acceleration, in dynamic the trans is just a gear lower than it would be in comfort. none of these drive select modes affect the suspension dampening, the sport package has springs that supposedly have a higher spring rates and lower the COG of the car. i have the 20's and the sport package and can say the 20's are a bit noisy not sports car levels of noisy bu you can definitely hear road noise, also over bumps and less than ideal roads you can feel the imperfections in the cabin.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo
If you are talking about an A7, your salesperson is confusing the ADS in the A6/A7, which does not have adaptive suspension (as has been covered in previous posts), with the A4 and A5 which DO have ADS adaptive suspension. (U.S. models)
So Comfort, Dynamic and Individual settings in the A6/A7 do not affect the suspension, with or without any Sports package option. Only the S6/S7 have that due to their air suspension. Check the Audi US site and you won't find adaptive suspension mentioned anywhere for the A6/A7.

As to 19" vs 20", I drove both in the A6 before buying. Wheel design aside, I picked the 19" Sport pkg as I felt it was a good compromise between no Sport and 20" Sport for ride. Still excellent handling but easier on the bumps. It's a personal preference. Drive both like I did before you buy and decide for yourself.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-02-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys...that's the value of our forums that I've belonged to since '99. I went with the 19"'s, as I'm not crazy about the look of the 20"'s. Although I test drove a 20"' Sport, and generally found it be a smooth ride, I felt a slightly taller aspect may provide a better all around ride. I must admit however, that the "off ramp" taken at about 50mph was a kick, not a hint of "twitch", even on the expansion strips.