A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

My Daytona Grey + Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Daytona Grey + Review

Hi guys,

I ended up getting Daytona Grey Prestige + Innovation, and here's my review of 2 months of driving the A7:

All around there are nice details to the car. The LEDs for blind spot fade in and fade out and it's a nice feature to be able to get that warning light before a car appears in your blind spot. If you give the blinking signal, you will see bright LEDs flash if there is someone in your blind spot.

Just like fading LEDs for blind spot, the interior lights fade out when you turn them off. The cornering lights are no exception: They turn on instantly, but fade out when they turn off. I think this level of detail is what separates German cars from American cars. The interior led lights in doors, and near your feet light up, and they have just the perfect amount of brightness, not too bright or dull. There are also LEDs at each of the four door handles which help at night.

I did notice hesitation in acceleration and I confirm there is about half a second delay when you hit the gas. But I think in certain situations, the acceleration delay is not present. When you are taking a corner, or when blinker is on, I feel that there is less hesitation from the car.

Yes, the car does pass in more vibrations with the 20" sport package but I really wanted pedal shifters. I was also advised by the dealer to get 20" instead of 19" although I would utilize all season tires more than this set of summer tires. On most smooth roads however, you will not notice any difference but on rough roads, be prepared to handle the extra vibrations that the 20" sidewall cannot absorb. Also, I thought the Car settings allow to change the dampening but no, at least not this sport package. It only changes engine, steering and seat belt stiffener, not the shocks or damp.

I felt that the Bose lacked base. I don't listen to base that is "loud on the street", but still it felt lacking the lows. I ended up getting custom enclosure to fit in the trunk such that there isn't a woofer rolling around in the trunk. The other thing is the sound compensation on my A4 was not noticeable, but on this one, you can hear the noise compensation working with speed.

I also ended up getting 40% ceramic tint all around. So far, I've not got in trouble even with cops passing by. I also ended up getting vinyl for the rear lights and reflectors because when the car was cleaned or waxed outside, the red lights were way too red for me. Plus I guess it gives a unique look to the car.

The exterior of the car looks much better in person. The rear end looks very sporty in person, but difficult to accept from pictures. You will appreciate the door thickness that stands out your car from the rest. This is what makes the exterior body feel wide and low. The interior blends in nicely and I'm glad I ended up getting aluminum over wood because I think wood symbolizes luxury whereas aluminum makes it feel more sporty. So far, I haven't seen any major flaw with the interior like my A4. The only exception is that when driving at night you will see the center console's top 1" reflect up in the windshield. This is true even though I'm not a 6' tall. The only way to get rid of this is to pull your seat forward or lift your seat a bit. This is a small annoyance at night. Oh.. and another issue is the Nav system. It takes about 2-3 minutes to fully load but it will make Audio and BT available within 10-15 seconds. In case you guys missed, let the nav load and after 2 minutes or so, you can click small picture icons in the nav and pull up its associated wiki information and picture.

The heads up display is really nice and it certainly helps you keep your eyes on the road. Luckily, I haven't got the pedestrian sign on the screen. I did get "Distance!" signs twice when I was a bit too close to the next car which was at a much slower speed. I also noticed that the car helps you discourage from tail gating. When the car in front of you is at a slower speed (even slightly) you will get a red car sign on heads up display and center console and it goes away when you allow more distance to the car in front.

Overall... really happy with the car, it is truly a large sports car. I wish there was a center seat though because that plastic thing doesn't justify compromising the center seat which I could've used. Enjoy the pics:

Old 02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice job. The tinted tails and custom enclosure look great.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. I've had mine about the same amount of time, and remain very pleased. The drive is outstanding, and your comment about it being a large sports car is spot on. I really think the A7 is destined to be a classic that will stand the test of time.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Really good review and pictures! Love the tail light tint. How does it look with the lights on?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Great looking car, I almost called the dealer to change my order from quartz gray to Daytona. Is that 40% tint on the rear lights?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The rear lights is actually Vinyl and I'm not sure the percentage. The tint shop person said that the tint film doesn't work on lights because gases has to escape through the microscopic holes in vinyl film. He only had one vinyl otherwise I might have gone with an even lighter shade.

It looks darker in pictures than in person. At night you wouldn't notice much difference when the lights turn on. In the sun, you can still see the Audi rings inside the lights, so it doesn't look totally blacked out.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review and pics, congrats and good luck with the car!
Can you provide some more detail on the sub woofer and enclosure you had installed? What size speaker is in the enclosure? How is the bass response now, tighter? Is there a way to control the level of the subwoofer independent from the bass adjustment now?

Thanks again, great review!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Great review and pics, congrats and good luck with the car!
Can you provide some more detail on the sub woofer and enclosure you had installed? What size speaker is in the enclosure? How is the bass response now, tighter? Is there a way to control the level of the subwoofer independent from the bass adjustment now?

Thanks again, great review!
I was going to ask the same questions. My biggest concern is integration into the existing system as I am thinking of upgrading the subwoofer and perhaps the amp once I get mine based on what I have read here. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Subwoofer can always be integrated well with any system. I'm not sure how my installer did it but on A7, there is a subwoofer next to the spare tire and maybe they can easily tap the signals from there. My installer said he tapped it somewhere else though because he claimed that the bass signal on the Bose woofer alters the frequency desired by external subwoofer.

Anyhow, it is an 8" woofer because 10" won't fit. They get a mold and make the shell out of fiberglass and then put wood on it to improve the bass response. This enclosure has to be removable though because there are car fuses underneath the woofer. The 300Watt amp is hidden on the left side of the trunk and no one can even notice there is aftermarket amp there. The bass response is definitely a lot tighter and fills the missing beats. There is a separate bass **** for the woofer which I installed in the ash-tray and asked the installer to put a red LED next to it. You can turn the woofer bass independently and when I turn it off, people get surprised by difference it makes.

I highly recommend it, at least on the non B&O package; 300Watt + 8" should be okay, I don't even turn it up all the way.

Quick Reply: My Daytona Grey + Review