A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dbier
I see other posters have indicated periodic data drains/usage when Google maps need updating. Can I prevent that by just keeping the NAV system set to display "Standard Maps" (i.e. not the enhanced Google satellite imagery)?
As far as I can tell, the Google Earth overlay only updates when it's selected. If you stay in Standard map mode it shouldn't download any of that data but still allow you to access the other Audi Connect Google info like Online search, etc..
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As far as I can tell, the Google Earth overlay only updates when it's selected. If you stay in Standard map mode it shouldn't download any of that data but still allow you to access the other Audi Connect Google info like Online search, etc..
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be giving it a try.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Success! TruSim Instructions

Add me to the list of satisfied TruSim users. After a couple frustrating attempts, I finally got it to work. It really is quite simple, but there were a couple common sense things that I didn't do that were necessary. Here's what I did to get it to work:

1. Go to http://www.truphone.com/en-US/Products/Tru-for-you/ and click on the "Activate SIM" link in the upper right of the page (next to the language flag)
2. Enter the SIM ID from the SIM punch card and Tru activation code that was emailed to you if you ordered the SIM online. It takes about 15 minutes for activation, so go get another cup of coffee.
3. Press open to open the Audi Multimedia dash. Put the SIM into the SIM slot (obviously the original TMobile SIM needs to be removed)
4. Hit the start button or start the car to bring up the MMI screen
5. Press "Tel" on the console
6. Navigate to the "Connection Settings" screen under the "Tel" menu (TEL>Settings>Connections>Data Connection>Connection Settings)
7. Make sure "Data Roaming" is not checked
8. Delete the existing APN, and enter "Truphone.com". Leave user name and password blank, and Authentication "Normal"
9. The Google icon on the MMI screen should illuminate. Navigate to the online destination and search to make sure that the data connection is working.
10. Push the SIM to disengage it from the reader or turn off the data connection if you don't want to use the data connection.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by ACHiPo289; 02-16-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone been able to confirm whether setting to "Standard Maps" will prevent Google Maps from downloading data and draining a TruSim account?

Dbier, how about you?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Has anyone been able to confirm whether setting to "Standard Maps" will prevent Google Maps from downloading data and draining a TruSim account?

Dbier, how about you?
I still have about 3 months left on the free trial so I won't know for awhile. What what I've heard indicates that Standard Maps will not drain the SIM card. I will experiment when I get it and post the results.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ACHiPo289
Add me to the list of satisfied TruSim users. After a couple frustrating attempts, I finally got it to work. It really is quite simple, but there were a couple common sense things that I didn't do that were necessary. Here's what I did to get it to work:

1. Go to http://www.truphone.com/en-US/Products/Tru-for-you/ and click on the "Activate SIM" link in the upper right of the page (next to the language flag)
2. Enter the SIM ID from the SIM punch card and Tru activation code that emailed to you if you ordered the SIM online. It takes about 15 minutes for activation, so go get another cup of coffee.
3. Press open to open the Audi Multimedia dash. Put the SIM into the SIM slot (obviously the original TMobile SIM needs to be removed)
4. Hit the start button or start the car to bring up the MMI screen
5. Press "Tel" on the console
6. Navigate to the "Connection Settings" screen under the "Tel" menu (TEL>Settings>Connections>Data Connection>Connection Settings)
7. Make sure "Data Roaming" is not checked
8. Delete the existing APN, and enter "Truphone.com". Leave user name and password blank, and Authentication "Normal"
9. The Google icon on the MMI screen should illuminate. Navigate to the online destination and search to make sure that the data connection is working.
10. Push the SIM to disengage it from the reader or turn off the data connection if you don't want to use the data connection.

Hope this is helpful.
Excellent, detailed instructions! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tridentnyc

Dbier, how about you?
Yes - with certainty if you do not have google earth enabled, it does not download any related google earth data.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
Yes - with certainty if you do not have google earth enabled, it does not download any related google earth data.
Thanks, good to know!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you run TruSim and zoom in 30 meters into a new location and you want full detail, it cost around $1.00 a day for a new map in that area. Just so you know what you expect to pay for a new, detailed map. After you have traveled that new area, you no longer have to input the Sim until you go to a new area and the map caches into the system.

Anyone get the same results?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default TrueSim not working w 2013 Q5

Originally Posted by dbier
Excellent, detailed instructions! Thanks!
I've followed the instructions (repeatedly over several days) for activating my new Truesim card - but to no avail.

Although a 2G icon and 4-5 antenna bars illuminate after I insert the card and follow the instructions - whenever I try to update a map or access Google online destinations I get an error indicating it could not establish a data connection. Also the Google icon never illuminates.

When I remove the TrueSim card the 2G and antenna bar icons turn off so it seems like the system knows it's there - but that it's being blocked. The Truesim rep wonders if Audi has begun blocking non official SIM cards in the newer models.

I know this is an A7 forum, but has anyone successfully used TrueSim on a 2013 Q5 or any U.S. 2013 for that matter?

I'm very frustrated and open to any suggestions. I've become disillusioned with Audi on several design shortcomings/restrictions - and this may be the final nail that drives me from considering them in the future.

Quick Reply: Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect