A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Fuel injector problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector problem

Just bought a 2012 A7 Prestige with 25k miles. Five days later I had gas spraying all over garage floor and car smells with gas fumes. After working through several issues with Audi roadside assistance to get car towed to local Audi dealer near the time service department opens, the service department takes an entire day to get back with me about the problem since they are short-handed on mechanics. Injector #3 broke loose and when I started the car it sprayed the entire engine compartment leaving a large puddle of gas on my garage floor and smelling up the house.

Has anyone experienced this? Although the repair is under warranty, I'm really concerned about all the gas that poured on the engine and into the engine compartment. I'm very concerned that this could eventually hurt gaskets and seals on the engine as it ages. Since I'm a new Audi owner (all of five days), I would be open to suggestions as to what I need tell the service department and Audi. I want to make sure that if further issues occur with my engine because of this event, I'm not stuck with a $60K car that might need further, expensive repairs.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. And yes, a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ouch, that must hurt after just 5 days of ownership.. I am sure Audi will resolve this and ahem, welcome to the Audi world, am sure the rest of your A7 ownership will be great!
Old 11-28-2013, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DocRock
I'm really concerned about all the gas that poured on the engine and into the engine compartment. I'm very concerned that this could eventually hurt gaskets and seals on the engine as it ages.
Your gaskets and seals are safe. The are subject to gas, oil or coolant all the time and a little gas from the outside will do no harm.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Your gaskets and seals are safe. The are subject to gas, oil or coolant all the time and a little gas from the outside will do no harm.
Thanks for the info. Not being mechanically inclined, I appreciate the information. Much appreciated.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I hope so

Originally Posted by chenthu
ouch, that must hurt after just 5 days of ownership.. I am sure Audi will resolve this and ahem, welcome to the Audi world, am sure the rest of your A7 ownership will be great!
Thanks. I'm hoping for a thorough repair and many years of enjoyment. So far, it's been a bumpy ride.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

DR, while your wrench indicated your injector #3 broke loose, note there is a recall out for S6/S7 fuel line replacement. It may not be related to your situation at all, but you should double check with your service dept.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DocRock
Just bought a 2012 A7 Prestige with 25k miles. Five days later I had gas spraying all over garage floor and car smells with gas fumes. After working through several issues with Audi roadside assistance to get car towed to local Audi dealer near the time service department opens, the service department takes an entire day to get back with me about the problem since they are short-handed on mechanics. Injector #3 broke loose and when I started the car it sprayed the entire engine compartment leaving a large puddle of gas on my garage floor and smelling up the house.

Has anyone experienced this? Although the repair is under warranty, I'm really concerned about all the gas that poured on the engine and into the engine compartment. I'm very concerned that this could eventually hurt gaskets and seals on the engine as it ages. Since I'm a new Audi owner (all of five days), I would be open to suggestions as to what I need tell the service department and Audi. I want to make sure that if further issues occur with my engine because of this event, I'm not stuck with a $60K car that might need further, expensive repairs.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. And yes, a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Don't panic! Gas will just evaporate, so as long as you air the garage out you are fine. The only thing that may remain is additives that are in the gas. If you follow the Audi recommendation and use 91 Octane gas you have no issue since that does not contain any ethanol like the lower grades.

Gaskets and other engine components are designed to be in contact with gasoline, they will not be harmed.

And be realistic. Your car has thousands of components and any one of those may fail. That is why you have a warranty. No company makes a car that never fails. Audi is actually extremely reliable in comparison to many of the others.

Get them fix it and enjoy the car, it is a superb vehicle. I should know, I have been driving a 2012 A7 for over 2 years with some minor repairs and no major complaints.

Frank
Old 11-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Don't panic! Gas will just evaporate, so as long as you air the garage out you are fine. The only thing that may remain is additives that are in the gas. If you follow the Audi recommendation and use 91 Octane gas you have no issue since that does not contain any ethanol like the lower grades.

Gaskets and other engine components are designed to be in contact with gasoline, they will not be harmed.

And be realistic. Your car has thousands of components and any one of those may fail. That is why you have a warranty. No company makes a car that never fails. Audi is actually extremely reliable in comparison to many of the others.

Get them fix it and enjoy the car, it is a superb vehicle. I should know, I have been driving a 2012 A7 for over 2 years with some minor repairs and no major complaints.

Frank
I am not sure if the ethanol has something to do or not with evaporation (I am not a chemist and was never good at chemistry) BUT I am sure premium fuel has ethanol, my Ducati fuel tank had to be replaced because the ethanol concentration in the US (of at least California) is that higher than Europe that the material the tank was made was warped because to that, there was a class action lawsuit against Ducati because of this which my bike was not part of because it is a newer model but Ducati have had problems with US gasoline for a while now.

Last edited by feralc; 11-29-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
I am not sure if the ethanol has something to do or not with evaporation (I am not a chemist and was never good at chemistry) BUT I am sure premium fuel has ethanol, my Ducati fuel tank had to be replaced because the ethanol concentration in the US (of at least California) is that higher than Europe that the material the tank was made was warped because to that, there was a class action lawsuit against Ducati because of this which my bike was not part of because it is a newer model but Ducati have had problems with US gasoline for a while now.
I can only speak for the gasoline sold in Canada. Every station sells 3 grades under various names but they all are 87, 89, or
91 octane. 87 contains 10% ethanol, 89 contains 5% and 91 contains none.

The ethanol has nothing to do with evaporation itself, but it leaves a residue when the gas evaporates. That is what creates problems (clogging) in small engines like lawnmowers, chainsaws, snow blowers and the like if the gasoline sits in the tank (and carburetor) too long. If you use non-ethanol gas, they will not clog up.

Last edited by fkaufman; 11-29-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by moosehead1
DR, while your wrench indicated your injector #3 broke loose, note there is a recall out for S6/S7 fuel line replacement. It may not be related to your situation at all, but you should double check with your service dept.
I will check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector problem