A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT Tires

I've just been told my S7 has Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT Tires (haven't picked it up yet). If given a choice I would request Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, but I have not seen any postings about Audi delivering A6/A7/S6/S7 with them, so I don't even know if swapping out for them is an option (the dealership would have to have an exact match in stock, which may not be likely).

Having had Pirelli P-Zeros on Porsche in the past, I know they can handle well, but my experience with tread life wasn't good and the road noise was almost unbearable after 9-10K miles. And in addition to seeing complaints about the Yokos performance and road noise, when I test drove them they were noticeably loud on 20" rims in an A7.

Have any posters or readers out there had the Dunlops yet? And if so, what was your experience with them? They rate pretty well at Tirerack (better than the Pirellis) and they seem to be common with S5 deliveries. Should I be happy that we're starting to see them deliver with Dunlops?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4rx3
I've just been told my S7 has Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT Tires (haven't picked it up yet). If given a choice I would request Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, but I have not seen any postings about Audi delivering A6/A7/S6/S7 with them, so I don't even know if swapping out for them is an option (the dealership would have to have an exact match in stock, which may not be likely).

Having had Pirelli P-Zeros on Porsche in the past, I know they can handle well, but my experience with tread life wasn't good and the road noise was almost unbearable after 9-10K miles. And in addition to seeing complaints about the Yokos performance and road noise, when I test drove them they were noticeably loud on 20" rims in an A7.

Have any posters or readers out there had the Dunlops yet? And if so, what was your experience with them? They rate pretty well at Tirerack (better than the Pirellis) and they seem to be common with S5 deliveries. Should I be happy that we're starting to see them deliver with Dunlops?
Great tires, you can't go wrong with those trust me
Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see at least 1 person liking them - thanks. I'm surprised how little feedback/experience there seems to be with them.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4rx3
Glad to see at least 1 person liking them - thanks. I'm surprised how little feedback/experience there seems to be with them.
yeah, sad isnt it, but good to see a fellow new yorker on here
Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ours came with the P Zeros but our S4 came with them in the 19" size.

Good tire nothing to complain about there. Are the Pilot Sports a better tire? Yes they are but run the Sport Max till they are gone and replace with the PSS. I don't think you will miss a heck of a lot between the two despite the Michelin being a better tire. Depends what you want out of a tire?

If you can get a dealer swap for no cost or something reasonable it might be a decent option
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had those on my A8. Didn't care for them as they hydroplaned at the first sign of moisture (not acceptable here in Houston), and got very noisy at about 17'k miles. After much reading and research, I landed on Sumitomos and some cash still in my pocket versus the Michelin A/S. So far very happy.....
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the dunlops should be better than the pirelli.

I wish Audi would put the Michelin S sports on more cars, but they seem to give the lionshare of business to pirelli. And then yoko and Dunlop.

My a6 has the pirelli zero 20" on there. I'm not even at my first service with ~3900 miles. The zeros are getting so bad, it's unbearable. The excessive tire noise and trammeling is absurd.

I just bought new tires this week and hope to get them on in the next few days. My ears can't take the abuse anymore.

If pirelli gave me free pzeros for life on my a6, I would humbly decline. It's a horrible tire for excessive noise.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 20000kms on my Dunlops and it sounds like I have a helicopter following me. The road noise is embarrassing. Much like the brake squeal...