A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

DRL's and Taillights not shutting off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DRL's and Taillights not shutting off.

I drive home, stop, open the door on my 2013 A7 and the engine automatically shuts off when I open the driver door. Headlights go off and DRL's and tailights stay on presumably to light the way temporarily. I don't lock the door (since I'm in my garage)

However, I just started noticing that the DRL's and Taillights are staying on. Shouldn't they go off after a minute or so?

My light switch is set to AUTO.

The DRL's and Taillights will only shut off if I lock the door.

Are these sensor driven? I just had a clear bra put on the bumpers and was worried that I didn't put cut-outs for the bumper sensors.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you not turning the car off? It sounds like you are putting the car in park, opening the door and getting out. That isn't really "turning" the car off. You need to press the ignition button to do that. All I think you are doing is engaging the safety feature that "turns" the car off when the car door opens.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, that may be it. I just assumed the car was "off" since the engine shut, the headlights shut off, and my MMI screen folded up. But with all those systems "off", what does "Park" mean? I guess that means the DRL's and taillights stay on?

However, if I just get out of the car, and let the car auto-shut the engine, headlights, and MMI, does "locking the car" mean the car is "off"? Are any other systems on if I do that without hitting the ignition button also?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougie360
Thanks, that may be it. I just assumed the car was "off" since the engine shut, the headlights shut off, and my MMI screen folded up. But with all those systems "off", what does "Park" mean? I guess that means the DRL's and taillights stay on?

However, if I just get out of the car, and let the car auto-shut the engine, headlights, and MMI, does "locking the car" mean the car is "off"? Are any other systems on if I do that without hitting the ignition button also?
Locking the car will cut off all systems. I have a 2013 A7 and was perplexed by the DRL staying on when exiting by simply opening the door. Pressing the stop button or locking the doors will turn everything off. =)
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

On 2013 C7's, if you open the door, the engine will turn off and the DRLs, interior and taillights can stay on for a time determined by your settings in the MMI - IIRC, there are three different "coming home" time delays that you can choose. After this time is elapsed (it could be several minutes), the car will totally turn off unless you lock the doors first. If you open the door, stopping the engine, a push of the start button turns the outside lights off right away. If you push the start button first to stop the engine and open the door, a second push of the button will also turn off the outside lights (in either case, the interior lights will then go off when you close the door). Check your MMI settings for the coming home delays. I believe it's in the "Car" module settings.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do me a favor. When you pull into your garage, shift the transmission to P, then push the engine start/stop button, then open the door.

You are not shutting the car down properly.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
Do me a favor. When you pull into your garage, shift the transmission to P, then push the engine start/stop button, then open the door.

You are not shutting the car down properly.
Not sure what you mean by "properly". There is more than one way to stop and turn off a C7; I've used all of the following:

1) Open door to turn off engine (MY2013 feature); dash lights go off; all exterior/interior car lights turn off after "coming home" time setting in MMI is reached
2) Hit Start button turning off engine; open door then same as #1 re all the lights
3) Hit Start button turning off engine, hit Start button second time to turn off car, open door; all lights same as #1
4) Open door turning off engine (or hit start button first), lock car to turn off all lights

In all cases, after a period of time, all systems eventually go to "sleep" to conserve the battery. You can tell that this has occurred in several ways; i.e. if you have Advanced Key, it will take two pulls on the door handle - first to wake up the car, second to unlock the door; another way is the MMI has to go through a complete start up vs. a quick on in standby mode. The "sleep" state is described in the manual.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual, snagitseven and his detailed lists. Better than reading the owners' manual. Cheers!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I am glad that I don't have a 13 A7. The shutting of the engine with the door opening would drive me crazy. Do you ever try to parallel park or back up and you open the door to check how far your car is to the curb or the side of the wall? Can this "feature" be turned off?

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not sure what you mean by "properly". There is more than one way to stop and turn off a C7; I've used all of the following:

1) Open door to turn off engine (MY2013 feature); dash lights go off; all exterior/interior car lights turn off after "coming home" time setting in MMI is reached
2) Hit Start button turning off engine; open door then same as #1 re all the lights
3) Hit Start button turning off engine, hit Start button second time to turn off car, open door; all lights same as #1
4) Open door turning off engine (or hit start button first), lock car to turn off all lights

In all cases, after a period of time, all systems eventually go to "sleep" to conserve the battery. You can tell that this has occurred in several ways; i.e. if you have Advanced Key, it will take two pulls on the door handle - first to wake up the car, second to unlock the door; another way is the MMI has to go through a complete start up vs. a quick on in standby mode. The "sleep" state is described in the manual.

Quick Reply: DRL's and Taillights not shutting off.