A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
You are missing the resale value and demand. You cannot do an ROI without this consideration, unless you plan to never sell the vehicle. If that is the case, the TDI is a no brainer.
As I pointed out in my text and disclaimer at the end, this wasn't meant to be a complete analysis, just a fuel comparison over time as a starting point.

While there's no history yet on U.S. trade values of a diesel C7 (obviously), I suppose one would guess at some (not all) of the percentage of the $5450 cost difference that could be returned in a trade depending on the age of the car at time of disposal. Estimating demand is even more of a guess at this point. The cost of money over time re the initial investment was not factored either.

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clarify, I used pricing on the new 3.0 TDI Bi-turbo motor which is actually quicker to 60 than the 3.0T. There are 3 versions of the 3.0 TDI and wanted to make sure this was brought out. I believe it's 5.1 0-60 and then there is the mid-range passing times that are better as well (20-40 and 30-50 type of times)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Another factor is that the motor oil is changed every 5000 miles with the diesel.
Not true, my first oil change service was done at 18000 miles. Variable service plan with Audi. Just need to ensure you use fully synthetic oil.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's highly unlikely that Audi will charge over $5000 more for a tdi in the U.S. market. So you can't use the euro conversion of what others pay across the pond to estimate gas vs tdi prices.

Audi is investing a lot in the tdi market, so I'm guessing a ~2500-3000 price premium for tdi.

5 grand will scare too many people away.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you seen the price difference between the Q7 TDI and it's comparable petrol cousin on www.audiusa.com? It is about $5K more for the a diesel. So I would say, yes, they will charge it because they can.

My theory is wait until Americans drive these new clean diesels, they may just start to view them as a more desirable choice.

JMHO
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by K2audi
Have you seen the price difference between the Q7 TDI and it's comparable petrol cousin on www.audiusa.com? It is about $5K more for the a diesel. So I would say, yes, they will charge it because they can.
I see the Premium and Premium Plus trimlines are $5200 more. The Prestige trim line is $4000 more.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There will probably be a $5000 difference on the gas vs diesel engine. But the Diesel consistently gets better mpg's than the gas version of VW cars. Should be the same for Audi vehicles.

A lot of the issues form the 1980's Diesels, are not the case nowadays ...

I think (my opinion) it will be a wash when all is said and done, for the average buyer who will drive for about 3 - 5 years, and if the reliability is similar to the TFSI engine it will only get better.

Getting a diesel seems to be audi's version of getting a hybrid... you need to believe in the future of diesel and see their vision and potential.. it could get huge if the bio diesel takes off in the states ... otherwise... the hybrids will take it ...

(Dont get me started on electric cars...)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K2audi

My theory is wait until Americans drive these new clean diesels, they may just start to view them as a more desirable choice.

JMHO
Care must be taken to determine the actual NET cost of the TDI, as they typically come equipped to the hilt and positioned as the top premium model. When I bought my 2010 Q7 TDI, the TDI was the only model (at least when I ordered it) to come with the air suspension. I think later models have the option, but air only came on the TDI. It also was only available fully loaded. Just something to be aware of for a true TDI cost. From my standpoint, the decision on gas/diesel is not really a cost issue as the gas and diesel are totally different experiences. Both are good options.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Care must be taken to determine the actual NET cost of the TDI, as they typically come equipped to the hilt and positioned as the top premium model. When I bought my 2010 Q7 TDI, the TDI was the only model (at least when I ordered it) to come with the air suspension. I think later models have the option, but air only came on the TDI. It also was only available fully loaded. Just something to be aware of for a true TDI cost. From my standpoint, the decision on gas/diesel is not really a cost issue as the gas and diesel are totally different experiences. Both are good options.
Good point...I just took the like for like Premium, Premium Plus, and Prestige pricing from both the TDI and Gas motors.

On the topic of resale prices, I did a quick search on cars.com and found on any given year, Q7's with the TDI motor were almost always still worth thousands more than the 3.0T with similar equipment and mileage.

I know this isn't scientific by any means, but does reflect market prices after a few years. I would say the new Bi-Turbo TDI is worth the premium price due to resale, gas mileage benefits, being the more powerful engine, and the characteristics of a diesel motor.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brickie
Not true, my first oil change service was done at 18000 miles. Variable service plan with Audi. Just need to ensure you use fully synthetic oil.
I agree, 18K is what I expect too, based ont he on board computer, and have seen this on my A4 and also my BMW 3 series.