A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 Audi A7 TDI - True Fuel Consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Audi A7 TDI - True Fuel Consumption?

I seriously need help from some serious buddies here. I am having diesel consumption nightmares. Who can pleeeeeease help me confirming that if it is only me or everyone, getting these exact numbers.? If we all are in the same boat, then I won't bother wasting money with dealership and/or with other mechanics. So, here we go:

I bought a 2016 Audi A7 TDI S-Line Quattro few months back with 67,000 miles. I 90% do hwy driving only. Everything in my car is stock, no upgrade, no nothing. The advertised spec says that TDI will be:
Advertised:
- EPA Mileage Est (City/Hwy): 25/38 mpg
- Combined: 30 mpg
- Rang in miles (City/Hwy): 495/752 miles

In last two months I carefully and very precisely monitored and noted down these number. This is what I did.

My Monitoring:
City Test:

I filled my diesel tank to Full and I mean FULL FULL, so much that some diesel fuel was sitting outside the cap. Now, I drove strictly and only inside the city and very "un-aggressively". Which means, from stop light I took all my time to bring the car to speed, as much that got honks from behind. I drove at least 11 miles and came back to same gas station and filled that tank again up to same level and same way. The car took 1.134 gal (for those 11 miles).

Hwy Test:
I filled-up exactly same way, and took hwy straight from that gas station (which is right on the exit) and drove total 420 miles using Audi ACC (Adaptive Curise Control) 95% of time at the speed of 120mph. I came back to same gas station and filled it up again. Tank took 15.416 gal. To calculate I divided 420 by 15.419, and came to 27mpg. (420/15.419 = 27)

*** This is horrible ***** Let me put it above format:

My Calculated Ranges:
- Rang in miles (City/Hwy): 10/27 mpg
- Combined: 18 mpg

On top of that I am pretty good with DIY. I have been working on my cars for last 7 to 8 years. So, even my car is so new, I still did few checkups before above test.
Checks:
1) I made sure I put brand new oil and oil filter
2) Glow plugs are in good conditions with no black carbon built up on tips
3) Fuel injectors are in good condition appearance wise; no carbon on tips, and washer is good.
4) No leaker around injectors which car is parked.
5) I cleaned Air filter under the hood (that big round one)
6) Checked brakes if they are good and not jammed, which I know they are not.
7) I have taken it to dealer once because with OBDEleven scan tool, I noticed there were 9 error codes before, but even when they cleared those, I got same numbers, and I check again last week, I have same error codes again. But fuel economy remained same.

Also, whenever I fill up my tank, I noticed on top left corner of my front display it say "560mil", and not "752 mil". Which means there is no way I will go 752 miles from a full tank which holds 19.8gal fuel. I purchased this car to get rid of my Hyundai Elantra. I got impressed by a YouTube video where this guy is driving this White 2015 Audi A7 TDI with TDI logo on it and mentioning that it is a full size German sedan with fuel consumption of Corolla.
My 2012 Elantra is giving me lot better then that: City/Hwy: 22/30 mpg. Ask me how I know ..

Please tell me if you all are experiencing the same results from your Audi A7 TDI S-Line Quattro. I have been reading so many comments at many places like Audi forum, under some YouTube videos and etc etc .. where people are saying "Hey, I am getting 45mpg and blah blah. I wonder if all those people have done something similar or it is just a guess. I have discussed it with some good local mechanics who have many years of experience working on Audi, VW and/or all German cars. They have never experienced this in such newer car so they refused to look into it and directed me to Dealership. When called Dealership, they don't even let you talk to real technicians so one can at least can ask if they know about these issue and IF it is an issue at all. They just want you to bring your car in with minimum of 2 hrs of work time. Which I am willing to do, IF it is only me.

Please help and please let me know. Sorry for such long details, and I hope one of you pick it up and help me out. I will be putting this exact "novel" of mien in other forums as well.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2016 A7 3.0T and same tank size as yours and never filled up less than 17.5 gallons when the range says 0 miles to empty. Same goes for the 2014 A6 TDI. The tank is 19.8 gallons and plus you are filling up too early. Also you can reset the trip meter everytime you fill up under the long term menu. The short term menu MPG changes daily. I get 37 mpg highway at 85 mph on the A6 TDI with 48k miles and 28 mpg with the A7 3.0T gas at same speed. Driving at 120 mph is not ideal for any car, they will all consume more gas at that speed, not sure why you are going that fast.

For my 2014 A6 TDI and average city and highway its around as advertise and 600 plus miles on a tank mix driving. I drove 300 miles yesterday from Chicago to Michigan 95% highway and got 36 mpg easily and still 350 miles left on range though I can get 20-30 miles more as I usually go all the way to 0 and even more pass that point and have 2 gallons left.
2016 A7 3.0T is about 350 miles to 400 miles on a tank mix driving.

So I would just drive normally and reset the long term mpg menu by pressing down the scroll button on the left side of the steering wheel everytime you fill up and you will get the accurate total mpg and range you did when you fill up next time at the gas station. Also fill it up when the range is 0, you still have plenty of gas reserve.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, forgot to pay attention to units. it is 120kmph and 75mph. It is a Canadian Car.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2015 A7 TDI. I get around 650km on a full tank in the city, 950km on the highway, anywhere in between if it is mixed city/highway.

Best mileage is on the highway at a steady 115 km/h.

The above are spring/summer/fall numbers. Mileage is weather dependent. It drops considerably in the winter, lowest is in February.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

I have 119k miles and am the original owner of a 2015 A6 TDi. I have hand calculated the mileage with every tank. My overall combined average is 28.8 mpg.

Last edited by KevinGary; 11-18-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Junoon
Sorry, forgot to pay attention to units. it is 120kmph and 75mph. It is a Canadian Car.
Haha that makes total sense as I couldnt figure out your location.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what I've achieved on my 2014 A7 TDI, for what it's worth:

Old 01-06-2021, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2017 A7 and I rarely ever get the manufacture stated miles.

I drive mostly city, and it's supposed to get 19mph according to Audi. I'll be lucky if I get 14mpg.

Highway is the same. 29mpg stated, but I'll average probably 24-25 according to my digital readout.

I don't drive with a lead foot, and it's always on comfort mode.

One thing I noticed is that if I have start/stop enabled (which I seldom do because I don't like it), I can sometimes get close to 19mpg city, but I've never had it on enough to actually see if that would make a difference going through a whole tank of gas.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default TDI Fuel Consumption

Use the onboard computer and it will give all your fuel figures, you may have to reset it to get the most up to date. Your TDI figures are on the low side, I've got the 3.0TFSI engine in my 2016 A7 and highway mileage is always over 30 mpg. I'd get an Audi mechanic to do a computer check on the car and see if there's any issues that may be contributing to your fuel mileage figures.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junoon, a question that comes to mind is has your car had the recall work done on it as required with the VW/Audi emissions scandal compliance?

I have a the same car as you, and using the onboard computer, I get close to 38 mpg at 80 miles an hour cross country.

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi A7 TDI - True Fuel Consumption?