A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2012 A7 Prestige: B & O vs Bose

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A7 Prestige: B & O vs Bose

I am going to lease an Audi A7 Prestige (Phantom Black/Black) and am trying to decide on whether to add the B & O system. I know it's a ton of loot and most reviews say don't bother spending the 6K. But I'm leasing it and my dealer is going to give me a nice break if I add it, so it'll only add another $50/month to the payment. I'm in the music biz and my stereo is very important to be. I have a B & O system in my 2009 A4 Prestige and I don't want to go backwards. With all of that said, does anyone have the B & O system and if so, did you test it next to the Bose? I haven't been able to listen to the B & O system in person and I need advice. I'm already aware that the system is overpriced, so I'm looking for more of an informed perspective with the consideration that an additional $50/month for a stereo system wasn't a deterrent.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

If your getting it for $50.00 per month, go for it... probably should be closer to $90 per month for that option.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Prestige package with Bose and wish I had gone the B &O route. I'd say that the Bose system lacks bass and it one fo the worse feature of the car.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with others that the Bose system is somewhat a disappointment. Even knowing that not sure I would have stomached the price of the B&O.

You need to consider your audio sources. If your playing compressed music (iPod, jukebox, sat radio) then the B&O improvement over Bose will not be as great. However, if your playing mostly CD or uncompressed music from the jukebox then the quality difference is tremendous.

For $50/month I probably would have gone with it....
Old 10-05-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B&O

I'm a '12 Prestige A6 owner and I have the B&O system and it's not a huge improvement in the bass area. I listen through Bluetooth, SD card, CD and AMI connection. Bluetooth, CD and SD cards produce the best sounds. The AMI connection is not consistent with sound. Some songs sound really good and other songs seem low and "hollow". I think I will have to rip my music at a higher bit rate to get the best sound. Sigh, I just don't feel like redoing my entire music catalog lol, it was never an issue before.

The bass from the B&O gets lost in the trunk. There are a couple of owners trying to figure out how to get the sound back into the cabin of the car.

<O
For $50.00 I say go for the B&O but do not pay a penny more. Your clients will enjoy the cool factor of the speakers rising from the dash board.

Last edited by lostnspace; 10-05-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"The saying: No Highs no Lows, just Bose..." applies 100% in this case. I'm not sure what Audi was thinking when they let Bose put their hand on building the system but it is pathetic to put it nicely. The "base" Q5 system sounds about 5Xs better than this so called 'premium system'. Any A5 or A4 with the $900 B&O system makes the A7 sound like it has an old AM radio. There is an 8" subwoofer installed that seems like it has maybe 5 watts going to it. The good news is you can change the front dash tweeters and piggyback an amp with a better sub and it will sound decent. If you have the means, skip the Bose. Its terrible.

Thumbs down to Audi on using Bose.

Originally Posted by hustledouble
I am going to lease an Audi A7 Prestige (Phantom Black/Black) and am trying to decide on whether to add the B & O system. I know it's a ton of loot and most reviews say don't bother spending the 6K. But I'm leasing it and my dealer is going to give me a nice break if I add it, so it'll only add another $50/month to the payment. I'm in the music biz and my stereo is very important to be. I have a B & O system in my 2009 A4 Prestige and I don't want to go backwards. With all of that said, does anyone have the B & O system and if so, did you test it next to the Bose? I haven't been able to listen to the B & O system in person and I need advice. I'm already aware that the system is overpriced, so I'm looking for more of an informed perspective with the consideration that an additional $50/month for a stereo system wasn't a deterrent.

Last edited by Quattrings; 10-05-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I really appreciate the sound advice (dah dum dum). I'm going with the B & O.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Using a JL Audio 10" subwoofer combined with a piggybacked MB Quart mono subwoofer amplifier and it sounds like it should have come from the factory. Really pathetic of Audi not to address the bass flaw in their audio systems for the A7 -causing owners to have to go on the aftermarket to upgrade their systems. With a hatchback, there is absolutely no excuse for these cars not to have excellent, deep, powerful bass. Where are their sound engineers that scrutinize every last sound including every click, pop, and thud when these cars are developed? If they only sat in the A7 and compared it to say a base model Q5 for 5 minutes they would immediately understand. For anyone that listens to anything other than AM radio (i.e. Jazz, Top 40) it is a huge disappointment.

Originally Posted by lostnspace
I'm a '12 Prestige A6 owner and I have the B&O system and it's not a huge improvement in the bass area. I listen through Bluetooth, SD card, CD and AMI connection. Bluetooth, CD and SD cards produce the best sounds. The AMI connection is not consistent with sound. Some songs sound really good and other songs seem low and "hollow". I think I will have to rip my music at a higher bit rate to get the best sound. Sigh, I just don't feel like redoing my entire music catalog lol, it was never an issue before.

The bass from the B&O gets lost in the trunk. There are a couple of owners trying to figure out how to get the sound back into the cabin of the car.

<O
For $50.00 I say go for the B&O but do not pay a penny more. Your clients will enjoy the cool factor of the speakers rising from the dash board.

Last edited by Quattrings; 10-05-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the saying goes "no highs no lows must be Bose"

Being in the industry b&o is just about the biggest rip off next to blose. Your paying for the name and the modern look of the system. Compare that with a set iof totems paired with parasound amp you just saved your self a cool 6k and they sound so much better then b&o

I'm an authorized dealer of bose systems and there is so much money in it it's hard not to push it, only compaired to b&o where with two systems sold it can buy me a nicely equipped a4 lol.

The amount of money Audi makes on the b&o is sickening, that's why they push it so hard. Industry article says estimates are between 750-1000%. When I was at the dealer I listened to the b&o, blose and symphony. I poped in an uncompressed cd of the eagles and Norah jones and listened. ( I have a trained ear) the best system by far was the Audi Symphony. Nice balanced lows and mids with clear highs (considering).

To be honest there really wasnt much difference between blose and b&o. Especially for 6 grand. The highs are more pronounced in the b&o system but that is because the tweeters are firing right at you rather then bouncing off the glass. So those cool pop up speakers do something,just not much for 6k

I wish in my Audi I had the ability to get the symphony but the prestige forces you to get blose. I am really disappointed with it and that is the one thing I miss from my q5.

Btw Audi only gives you the option to adjust lows and highs which is absolutely obsurd. Ask your self if $50 a month is worth the motorized pop up speakers because your honestly not getting much more then that.

Save the 50 bucks go with blose and install this. http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pa....aspx?PID=MS-8 seriously what it does is phenomenal. This is what I'm doing and when the lease is up I'll just pop it out and put back to stock
Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quattrings
Using a JL Audio 10" subwoofer combined with a piggybacked MB Quart mono subwoofer amplifier and it sounds like it should have come from the factory.

Where did you hide these components in the car? I like to keep things as clean and near factory look as possible. Also how much did it cost?

Quick Reply: 2012 A7 Prestige: B & O vs Bose