A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

19 vs. 20 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19 vs. 20 inch wheels

My A7 Prestige with 19" sport package is due to hit the port a week from today, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I may be in it by Thanksgiving.

I'm having second thoughts about the 19" wheels, finding myself drawn to the look of the 20". However, based on your experience, what are the pros and cons of handling and road noise with one vs. the other? The car won't see any appreciable snow down south here. Am looking for some opinions before checking to see if I might be able to switch 20" at the dealer. I'ill certainly check this weekend if I can drive two cars with different wheels to compare the ride.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a significant amount of tire slap w/ the 20's - But it's barely noticeable on decent roads... Can't speak for the 19's, but it's no contest IMHO.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the 20"'s and think there is a lot of road noise. I really didn't want them, but I got one of the first cars at my local dealer and had to take what they had. In general I think that the 20"'s will only give you a harsher ride, more noise and more expensive tires. Also, 3 of the 4 wheels have curb rash already.

I'd stick with the 19"'s.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I WISH I had those 20" rims, I think they are beautiful & fill the wheel well perfectly. But I ordered the 19" all seasons because for me, they were just more practical. We have snow, we have pot holes & I will travel a great deal so I just couldn't justify the aesthetics vs. the practicality for me.

As for ride, I drove both before I purchased and although just test drives, I did not feel or hear a difference. But boy if they had those rims in the 19" I was looking for, I would have gotten them & asked how much later.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going in tomorrow to do a comparison. Dealer is working with me, which is nice.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carljones11
I WISH I had those 20" rims, I think they are beautiful & fill the wheel well perfectly. But I ordered the 19" all seasons because for me, they were just more practical. We have snow, we have pot holes & I will travel a great deal so I just couldn't justify the aesthetics vs. the practicality for me.

As for ride, I drove both before I purchased and although just test drives, I did not feel or hear a difference. But boy if they had those rims in the 19" I was looking for, I would have gotten them & asked how much later.
I wish I knew what everybody was asking about. What noise? Had 20's for 4 months now....no noise, look great (when not break dusted). Stop your agony, go for the 20's....you will be happy!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different Q in that we have a q5 and went from the stock 19's to the Audi 20" multispokes and only difference we can tell is the looks...

If same tires on both,
the 1" difference is only 1/2" on either 'side' so not much difference...

the taller 20" wheel & tire combo is actually the same height on our Q5, in that the tires have a little less diameter than our stock tires.

All other factors the same, with the 20" wheel you will typically get a LITTLE better handling in that the sidewall is shorter and won't 'fold over' as much on hard cornering (not that we would do that in a CUV )

and the wife likes the looks on her Q, so the 19" are parked in the storage building out back !
Old 11-11-2011, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

slojotaa, it's not agony choosing, but gives me something to do while I wait and wait! Thanks!

JohnBoyToo, that Q5 looks great with the big rims.

Thanks everyone for the input and advice!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got the 20" rims with Pirelli PZeros after about 1,100 miles on the 19"s. This is terrible, but I didn't even check what tires came on the 19" rims - car got delivered late in the day, holidays came, etc.

The difference has thoroughly surprised me. I wasn't really sure how the drive would improve, and in case it didn't justified the switch due to aesthetics. These things stick to the road, give you much more confidence in handling, and even acceleration seems a bit more "firm" (don't ask me to explain how that would work). How much of this is the rim size vs. the Pirellis I can't say, but there's really been a nice upgrade in the ride.

I'm fortunate living in an area with generally good roads and minimal snow. Driving these wheels in Manhattan would not be something I'd relish (rental Pontiacs are more appropriate there!). I do feel the road more closely, something not everyone cares for, but my point of reference is my first car, an MGB. Two thumbs up!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any noticable difference in road noise?

Quick Reply: 19 vs. 20 inch wheels