A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

help, vibration at45mph to 75 then it goes away but will......anyone else???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, vibration at45mph to 75 then it goes away but will......anyone else???

will return if on highway going up incline and gets worse the longer i drive but only at those speed.. i have been going throught this seens owning new a6 4.2. had 13 tires replaced and rotors but know resolve... i need help!! will see dealer on the 8/6 again.....
Old 07-29-2001, 06:59 PM

Default Re: help, vibration at45mph to 75 then it goes away but will......anyone else???

here we go again!when is Audi going to do something about this?
Old 07-29-2001, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How many miles on your car?
Old 07-29-2001, 07:49 PM

Default Re: How many miles on your car?

started from 25miles on a6 4.2 2000 now only 16,000mi. 13 tires changed, rotors,alignments.going to dealer 8/6 for 16000serv and this chronic problem. can you help???
Old 07-29-2001, 09:25 PM

this condition disappeared after they changed the front drivetrane.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:36 AM

I'm in today for LH recall, regular sevice and the slight vibration.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:44 AM

I had the same problem...have them check the wheels (not the tires)
Old 07-30-2001, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Things are starting to gel from both the Audi perspective and from the owner perspective . . .

in respect to the transient vibration problem. Audi(Germany) has contacted at least one dealer (for A6 model/TT's already have a TSB for the dual mass flywheel and haldex component) and identified the problem in the awd system for the A6.

They are not entirely sure what the problem is or why it is occuring other than that it is rooted in the balance of the torsen part(s). Balance is the word they used so I do not know what that means.

Audi's current position is that if your A6 has it, they might be able to rebalance/replace the awd components (mechanical or electronic) but that they cannot guarantee that it will go away. They can tell you that they may modify the speed at which the torsen chuckle will occur so that it is below or above a speed which would normally be a cruise speed.

If you car does not exhibit the chuckle than you either do not have parts that are affected or you have it at a speed that you do not maintain. In other words if yours occurs as 4mph you will accelerate through that speed and notice nothing. In addition, the slow speed of the rotation will make the chuckle imperceptible.

If you have it anywhere in the 40 - 80 mph range (most common on affected vehicles) you will definitely notice the chuckle. It is a slip/grab/slip/grab/slip/grab type of movement that translates into what most are calling a vibration. You "may" feel it through the gas pedal. It changes with ambient temp, part temp, duration, and acceleration profile.

Most of us have been chasing our proverbial tail by buying wheels, tires, and balancing and re-balancing to no avail. Unfortunately, you need to eliminate the wheel/tire issue before transitioning to the mechanical aspect. Audi may not be able to identify the direct cause.

It could be parts that were not quite spec, it could be part of the manufacturing process, it could be symptomatic of a different problem. They have currently nailed down the problem on the TT and have prescribed the theoretical fix.
Even with that TSB they are aware that it is a multiple choice answer. You can make one change in an attempt to repair only to find that it did not rid the vibration/chuckle.

Don't wait and/or expect a recall. This is something that needs to be worked through and I genuinely think they have eliminated the problem by applying the fix to the active production line.

Another unfortunate side effect is that you will always get one of two responses:

1. It's your wheels and tires/or tires or wheels.

2. It's your imagination because it does not exist on all cars.

Complete your due diligence by notifying AoA and your dealer. The fix can range anywhere from a few thousand dollars to several thousand dollars per vehicle. Do Not allow your car warranty to expire with the problem unresolved. You will be facing a hefty repair bill.

Hang in there. It will get resolved. You need to help them help you because quite frankly they appear to be as mystified as anyone as to the cause. You cannot say it is a systemic characteristic of quattro because it certainly has not manifested itself to this degree in previous production cars.

Brian

***this post is based on undocumented verbal information. It is only my opinion or assessment of the topic based on information that I gathered independently. I do not and cannot represent the manufacturer. Thus, any references to same are conjecture.***
Old 07-30-2001, 11:37 AM
JP

Default Here's some more on this with my 2 cents.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/75396.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/75396.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 07-30-2001, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wonderful post, Brian! This needs to be posted again separately, and should probably be a FAQ.

Quick Reply: help, vibration at45mph to 75 then it goes away but will......anyone else???