A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A few more notes about cv boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few more notes about cv boot replacement

I had the joy of replacing my right-side cv boot last weekend. Here's a few notes for those attempting this operation for the 1st time:

A 3/4" impact gun is your friend for this job. It turned the axle bolt right off, and tightened it darn near to spec with the wheel off the ground. Hooahhh!

A good source for the large hex head axle bolt tool is NAPA. The 1/2" drive 17 mm hex driver is part # NPT 615317 and currently sells for $7.00. For use with a 3/4" impact gun, buy the 3/4" to 1/2" adapter, part # NPT 616701 for $14.00. These impact tools have a lifetime warranty. <a href="http://www.napaonline.com/NOLViewer/Pages/Results.aspx?N=30068&ShowPics=1">NAPA Tools</a>

The pinch bolt came right out with no trouble. After reading this forum I know that I am lucky. The Bentley manual has a section that details the use of a special tool to remove this bolt if it is seized, so be prepared for a fight.

I ended up taking the axle off of the car. I figured the 30 minutes of extra time required to r&amp;r the axle made it a lot easier to clean, remove &amp; replace the cv boot parts.

I tried to use the impact gun to drive the axle bolt all the way down and pound the cv joint off, but it was a no-go. There just wasn't enough threads to do the job. It almost came off- it didn't take much pounding with the hammer to finally drive the cv joint off of the shaft.

A good source for the "triple square" or "XZN" sockets required to remove the axle (and other parts of our cars) is <a href="http://www.skhandtool.com">SK Hand Tools</a>. The 1/2" drive bit set is part #19704. I paid $47 for the set at a local dealer. They're also available on amazon.com.

Two guys doing this job is way easier then doing it by yourself. I'm not sure how I would have raised the suspension and re-attached the pinch bolt without a second set of hands. A second jack helps to raise the suspension during reassembly. You will of course need a jackstand to support the car while it is up in the air.

Autozone is a good place to get the cv clamp tool. It rents for a $10 deposit, and they gave my money back when I returned it.

The replacement boot kit that I purchased used a hex head axle bolt. Be sure to bring the bolt with you to NAPA (or Sears, or wherever) to get the right sized socket to torque it back on the axle. (Or you'll be making another trip to the parts store, like I did.)

Buy a box of latex gloves and lots of paper shop towels. The grease gets everywhere!

I would probably do this job again now that I know what I am doing. This first time around took me 3.5 hours, but I am slow and methodical.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A few more notes about cv boot replacement

kudos to the write up. Luckily they are covered under my ext-warranty, because ive had 3 replaced now :O