A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Officially now a member of the DIY Mod-Squad.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Officially now a member of the DIY Mod-Squad.....

Thx to all for the (awesome!) instructions (Robert G) on installation of H-sport sways. Did it in about 3 hrs. Drank about 2GAL of water in this heat/evening. MY only comments are:

1) It's easier to put the exhaust BACK on the hangers using a flat head screw driver to guid2 the hanger end back into the rubber grommet and also if you spray the metal hanger with WD40 again

2) With the bolts supplied for the rear-sway, you need a 17mm wrench(s). DEFINITELY get a set of wratchet/adjustable angle wrenches.....pay for themselves.

3) When wrestling the end link bolts into the linkage, use one hand to 'move' the linkage and grommet to meet the sway bar end with bolt already stuck into the new Sway....take care not to drop the bolt AND new small washer into the lower A-arm of the suspension as fishing these out will eat up about 10 minutes of wrenching time!

4) The front sway is a joke to put in compared to the back, and the back is not that bad at all

5) I used a can of faux finish latex....along with a smaller accent can when supporting the exhaust...

5) since my ramps (freebies) were going to bump the bottom of my front bumper, I placed a 2X4 across in front of the ramp to give the tires some lift first (raising the bumper), I also placed a 2X4 that was about 6" long in the center of the ramp for the tire to ride up about half way to provide additional lift to the front end (for those of you not using longer, more gradual ramps.

Took the long way to the pizza shop for a couple slices and a sixpack of Sam Adams, punched it around a road bend........))) is all I can say!

May post about the next job.....poss. to tackle tomorrow?!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Congrats! And thanks for the tips...

Mine have FINALLY left CA (they were at the Fedex facility in CA for five days!) and are in CT. Not sure if they'll make it up to MA by tomorrow's estimated delivery date, but I'll be holding off on the install until Friday at least. TOO much heat around here.

A much bigger feather in your cap than my first mod: fold down bag hooks in the trunk!!

Enjoy.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Default FedEx shipping is strange....

mine were also in CA for about 5 days and then INSTANTANEOUSLY were to delivered the next day. I don't believe FedEx must update their data as realtime as say, UPS or something or perhaps it depends on shipping level. I'm just glad, even though I called Fedex and had arranged for them to hold these until Tue when I'd pick them UP as I was out of town.....that despite them delivering them ANYway on Sat....they just sat at my front door through the weekend, untouched!!!

Def. follow RG's instructions and do the rear first....it'll make the front seem even easier!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats...it's not a bad job...withe the right instructions! Good work!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
RLG
AudiWorld Super User

Default "I used a can of faux finish latex...."

Classic!!

Congrats on your install - ain't it fun to do it yourself?!

I actually recently updated my post to note the bit about flex heads, 17mm nuts, and to include MCH's input. Anyhow, really glad the post was useful to you. Have fun with your new suspension!! Taking the long way is always the best way!!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:02 AM

Mine should arrive today........... better go read those instructions
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine just arrived. Yippee!