A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

V8 KAPUT - Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 KAPUT - Update

Hello again,

Wanted to post some update on the current state of affairs with my vehicle. So far, I've not engaged in opening and chechking whatever may have happened in there...

First of all, BIG THANKS to KC_Kris who helped me placing a few calls arround and even had the Parts & Service department manager at Noe Audi give me a call to offer his help. I cannot thank you enough!

I only had time enough to call arround and get some info on prices to choose the best alternative to solve this mess. This is what I got:

- Used V8 with arround 55K ranges from $5,800 to $8,000. There are only 6 available across the US and only 2 of those are running.
- Labor to take the engine out and put new one in is $1800
- Flatbet to get the car to KC $600
- Crate motor from Audi is roughly $12,000
- Cylinder heads from Audi run $3,000 each
- Refurbished Cylinder heads priced at $3,000 a pair
- Short Block from Audi $8000

Having read through these numbers, I struggle to find a good reason to even think about fixing this car... Putting a used motor in it would at least cost a total of $8,200. New engine replacement at dealership hourly rate lands a crazy $16,000.

The estimated value before engine went kerplunk was arround $17,000 (2001 - All Option V8 - 67K). I currently owe $7,500 on it, so adding another $10K to be able to sell it for same price and hardly getting my money back sounds like a big gamble.

I am now considering selling the car as-is, or sending it to the junkyard... feel so bad about doing this, though. Most countries where I've lived in the past would find a way to fix it without having to shell out 70% of the total value of the vehicle.

Anyway, if anyone can come up with a decent way of dealing with this I'd greately appreciate your guidance.

Thanks!
Andres G<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/599529.phtml">For those who missed the first post, click here the story</a></li></ul>
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

If you sell as is, please let me know.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Andres...that just really bites...but was expected.

I knew you where looking at a heafty bill. I suppose if someone had the time to pull the motor and start going through it, the results could be better.

Sorry to hear about this...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tough situation...Best of luck.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What about a local Tech School? Just a thought rather than junk it.. Other ideas-->

Have you tried any local engine rebuilding companies? How about an engine from a wreck and then having the tech school bench test before installing or create the best from engine from both? There has to be a way...
Old 03-04-2006, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Andres - tough spot. If I were you, I'd look into having someone find the problem and

then you'd be better able to decide what to do. Might take a few hours of work, but I bet it would be worth it. From there, you may find you need only have a partial rebuild (let's hope). I also like Murph's idea of a tech school -you may be able to find someone willing to look into your issue for less $$.

I've seen some really badly damaged engines get rebuilt and go on to serve long, trouble free lives. An investment in a few hours of indy labor may tell you you can get out of this for less than you currently think. Or, you may find out the situation is as bad as you fear. Either way, you'll know.

Best of luck...
Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also interested if you sell as is...
Old 03-06-2006, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default part the car out, or sell as is...

You can make a lot of money parting the car out, you will be able to recover the $7500 you owe on it. At the very least, sell it for the precise amount you owe on it.

I, for one, am interested in the radio and speakers, rims/wheels.

Also, what shape is your transmission in?

What color is the car? Where are you located?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: part the car out, or sell as is...

Unfortunately, I do not have time to dedicate to doing this. I have not made my mind yet, but I already have an offer for a little more than $7500, but want to get arround $10,000... the car is (was) in perfect shape and has 67K miles.

I'll let you know if I choose to part it out myself.

Thanks,
Andres G
Old 03-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Have not made my mind up completely yet, but will let you know if I choose to sell as-is

Quick Reply: V8 KAPUT - Update