A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

The Average Joe's Guide to RNS-E (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Average Joe's Guide to RNS-E (Long)

Here's the follow up I said I'd post about my experience for any AWers who are interested in the RNS-E mod, but may not be too electronic-savvy. I hope this helps. Feel free to add if I left any considerations out.

Anyone who's spent some time trolling the AW boards undoubtedly knows about the virtues of the RNS-E navigation upgrade. I recently had the RNS-E, Sirius satellite OE receiver, and GSM/GPS submarine antenna installed in my '03 S6.

This write up is for the "other" guy, like myself, who shuffles through life in ignorant electronics bliss and thinks a FAKRA female connector is a dating service for women from the country of FAKRA. So, assuming that not everybody is as familiar with electronics (e.g., wiring, installs, etc.) as some others on this board, understand this is not a mod you can do quickly and/or cheaply. But, if you're going to do it--and I highly recommend you do--follow the steps so you know what to expect.

#1: Do your homework. Read everything you can to see if this is exactly what you want. TeddyBGame and Lee (NSXJr)offer everything you need. Look at Ted's sig for links and go to www.nsxjr.com to get you on the way. But, as I told Ted, if you don't know what you're looking at, it doesn't matter how in-depth and accurate the info is. I just didn't get it--wire gauges, pins, euro connectors, adapters, harnesses. BLECK!!! This leads me to step #2.

#2: Know your limitations. Do yourself a favor. Once you have read through all the info to be sure it's what you want, just contact Ted to tell him what you want to do. He'll work out a price for an Excel spreadsheet detailing every electronics part you're going to need. I tried to source what I needed by myself and failed miserably. Worse yet, I showed up at the Indy installer (who was great) with about half of the wires I needed and he said "looks ok to me, we'll get you in next week." The point...have Ted tell you what you need if you have questions. It will save you lots of time and frustration.

#3: Locate reputable sellers/suppliers who fellow AWers have used. I highly recommend Steven Diamond (bmwz1@earthlink.net) for a great price on the RNS-E and Justin@rivalmotorsports.com for the Sirius OE receiver and OE submarine GPS/GSM antenna (if you want it). I think Steve can also get the OE receivers. I sourced everything else from online vendors that Ted supplied in my worksheet and I had no problems. Then, I sent everything to Ted, who made (for a fee) a custom plug-n-play wiring/harness for the unit that enables me to add BT at a later date. It was a huge help during the install.

#4: Patience is a virtue. Waiting for this mod to come together is like watching paint dry. It is not immediate gratification. The RNS-Es come from Europe. If the US supplier doesn't have one in stock, you may have to wait up to 6 or more weeks for your shipment to arrive. All of the other components can take up to several weeks, so try to order everything at once so that delivery times overlap.

#5: Be realistic about what you're getting. Remember, these RNS-Es are used units. There may be dings or scuff marks. I was really bummed that mine had some pretty good marks on it when it arrived. The seller may not refund your money, because it becomes a quality control issue. It worked when it was shipped to you. It may not work when it arrives to them, and they can't resell a damaged unit. To Steve's credit, he did send some potential buyers my way to resell it, but in the end, the scuffs are hardly noticeable, so I'm glad I kept it.

#6: Locate a qualified installer. If you're not good with electronics, than avoid thinking you can do the install. Resign yourself to the fact that you will most likely be paying an indy shop north of $350 to do it. While you're waiting for your shipments to arrive, start searching for someone to install it. Ted started a post on www.navplus.us for local people who can do an RNS-E install for little more than a case of beer. For me in the NJ/NYC area, it didn't work out so well. I emailed a couple people and never got a response. But, try it out anyway. I ended up going with an indy installer around the block. I took a chance, because he had never done an RNS-E install, but he owns an Audi and replaced his entire sound system. I felt comfortable that he'd know the car and he did.

#7: Manual is optional. I can honestly say that the RNS-E is very intuitive. I knew the interface within about an hour of fiddling with it. However, I ordered the manual--source also in Ted's posts--for $5, which is worth it in my opinion.

Post Install Wrap Up
The RNS-E is a fantastic mod that brings a bling smile to my face every time I start the car. I am very happy I did it. Thanks to everyone--Steve, Ted, and Justin--for helping me breathe new life into my already sweet ride. Note, in a direct comparison to my wife's Lexus navi, the RNS-E DVD is definitely inferior. It is not as accurate, occasionally calling for inappropriate turns, and seems to be off by about 100 yards too early. But, that's not too big a deal for me. It will get you close to where you're going and looks good doing it. And, that's the bottom line!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Me no touchy wire thingies too. Great post!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm too scared but want it anyway
Old 03-03-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: I'm too scared but want it anyway

Great advice

I've a year 2000 A6 wth the factory fit RNS-C (I think??) CD based system with TV tuner and would love to upgrade to the new system. However, I assumed it would be a straight swap but found out that it's not that simple.

I may still upgrade at some point so your advice & tips are appreciated
Old 03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great post, just one thing...

Don't forget to mention Lee (NSX_JR) who hosts a great web page with PDF files for install instructions. Between Lee and Ted, they have the whole electronics thingy down solid!

I ordered one of the RNS-E Manuals from that website, but they've been backordered forever. I actually ordered three, so if my order ever fills, I'll have a couple of extras to share with AW folks.

Oh, and if anyone needs help with install around Boston (and if Ted is too busy), I would be happy to help as well!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

C'mon John, you know you want it!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can already imagine driving to Lexington w/ my radio in shotgun and wires everywhere ;-)
Old 03-03-2006, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good post, well said. You are too kind. Lee (NSX Jr) has made a lot of great contributions....

...to the nav forum/community. I'm glad I convinced him to buy one. It didn't take very long for him to exploit all of the features of this nav unit as well as the existing electronics in his 2001 2.7T.

While we are on the topic, I tend to think of the RNS-E as more of a "platform" than a navigation unit. Because of it's MMI (multi-media interface) you can easily add other components to suit your audio/video/telephone needs. Be careful though, once you get the unit installed, you'll want to integrate other things to it......and that's another kind way of saying..."you've been bitten by the 'upgrade' bug". Ha!!

I hope to see more folks on this board take the plunge.

...as always....see my sig...for my link to the RNS-E for C5 thread (it's needs some updating).

-ted
Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Did you ever contact GermanDriver out on L.I., he sells/installs them.

He hangs out on the NY/NJ/CT forums from time to time. A few AWOTers had him install/sell them RNS-E's.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the RNS-E gives voice prompts right, when giving directions?

Quick Reply: The Average Joe's Guide to RNS-E (Long)