A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Dealer called (that was fast) and replaced MAF sensor....stated that fixed the ABS and ESP (ECU)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer called (that was fast) and replaced MAF sensor....stated that fixed the ABS and ESP (ECU)

issues.....I call BS and told them I'm not picking it up just yet, test it tomorrow and call me with status.

I cant believe a bad sensor would trigger 3 fault codes, the CEL and render ESP and ABS useless, but what do I know?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default have the tech drive it home tonight

and drive it back to work tomorrow then check MAF numbers and for fault codes.

Sometimes the only way to get CEL to occur is to drive it for awhile.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default They are.

I told them instead, to find some ice, hit the brakes and see if ABS engages. Then said to accelerate in the same patch of Ice to check the ESP.

Thats what I would do to "test" it since my test locks up the brakes and causes the car to spin sideways as it stands.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:26 PM

Default interesting. I've noticed my car, on light throttle applications (ie steady throttle)

tends to have the rpms float up and down a few hundred rpms. Kind of like I'm pusing and releasing on the accelerator ever so slightly. This is mostly when cruising along at roughly 30mph. I remember someone stating that there was a MAF recall or update to this situation, but I can't remember.

Let me know if this fixes it, maybe my MAF seems to be on the fritz. [hands in the air]

I'm with you though, seems awful odd to trigger all of those symptoms.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt you see your car at a local bar last time a tech took it "home for the night".
Old 01-23-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Had the same symptoms as CL, they also took it home yet nothing showed up.

Mine comes on at odd times though. Somestimes, while the car sits in idle, the ESP and ABS will turn on. Other times, it'll turn on after being driven for a few hours, and other times it'll come on when going over rough roads. Gonna bring it in sometime next week and see what codes they pull.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Had the same symptoms as CL, they also took it home yet nothing showed up.

I am curious to see what the dealer has to tell me in the am too.. I was in the bank drive through moments before mine had it's melt down.... I wonder if there is a common thread with any of of? The car was working sterling before it through the CEL and ESP lights on.

Carbon, just curious, what did your dealer charge you/warranty for that repair?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ABS is good. But i like the old way. Pump the brakes urself. Helped me
Old 01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Talkin bout the C5. Well the 1988(red) 90 had ABS too, but...

...it was so gay! lol
Old 01-24-2006, 05:59 AM

Default Well, i;ve brought it to the dealer at least 4 times for this same exact problem,

and all 4 times they said they found nothing. Ok, so either i'm lying or i'm crazy, but, the next time i do bring it in, i'm gonna drive it around until the lights come on so once i pull up to the dealer i can show them that it is disengaging.

Quick Reply: Dealer called (that was fast) and replaced MAF sensor....stated that fixed the ABS and ESP (ECU)