A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Just an FYI if you have suspension "clunking" like sounds from front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Craggy Old Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just an FYI if you have suspension "clunking" like sounds from front end

We have been trying to find the source of clunking from the front end for 2 months now. The 1st impression was suspension. Everything seemed tight, shocks, tie rods and such are all pretty new. Wasnt the steering rack either, like it was once before. Checked the 2 piece wheel for cracks and if the bolts had come loose Ronal LZ's. Checked the H sport sways, all tight and nice.
Checked the stoptechs, tightened up the hat bolts. Tech did not want to mess with the axle or wheel bearings just yet.
Took the car on the road and the sound was gone. A day later it starts coming back.
Went through a list Of what was tightened and started to cross off other possibilities. Since it went away, not the wheel bearings, wheels, axle, steering rack.
We focused on the brakes. checked for cracks and had Stoptech send out new bolts for the hat. The rotor assembly just did not feel,sound right to the tech as he tapped it. He installed the new bolts, and we took the car out yet again. Sound is gone. We watch it for the next few days, but so far so good.
Just posting this so if someone with a clunking noise from the front end, and they can't find anything wrong with the suspension, this could be a place to check before you get into the expensive stuff like bearings and axles. "This was with Stoptechs".
Now I can drive the car again, have only put 100 miles on it the last 2 months. So the battery went dead from non use! But seems to be doing fine now. Hope nothing else goes from NON-use : ))
Old 12-27-2005, 12:06 PM

Default I have that problem for a while now

Everytime I start driving the car after its been sitting in P (park) for a while it makes a "clunk" noise on the left front end.
When driving in D(drive) it never happens, like on traffic lights.
ONLY when in PARK for a longer time and its only the left side.

You think its the same problem like yours?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I've found that it's very difficult to detect a failed ball joint on the rear lower control arm.

You can jack up the front end, jiggle and shake everything, even attack it with a ply bar, but for some reason the ball joint on the rear lower control can be totally wasted and difficult to detect. For mystery clunks I remove the ball joint from the knuckle and loosen the bolt where it bolts to the subframe. This allows it to swing down where you can get a better look at the ball joint.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ditto. took me 3 visits before the dealer replaced the lower control arms.

once we did that, the noise was gone.

good luck!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:36 PM

Great detective work! Welcome back