A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HVAC fan squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC fan squeaks

When my fan is running pretty slow it often squeaks. It's just annoying enough that I either turn the fan up (and it's too fast) or turn the climate control off all together.

Anyone know how much of a job this might be to fix? Is there any hope of my simply lubricating something somewhere? Or is this buried too far? And what might a dealer charge to clear up an issue like this?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:35 PM
mpw
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the same problem. I'm going to pull the fan out tomorrow to see if it can be lubricated....

I haven't run across any posts here where anyone was successful with that sort of approach, but it's worth a shot. The blower looks pretty simple to remove.

I seem to recall a replacement is ~$300.

Mine was silenced a few months ago when I sprayed something similar to BG FrigiFresh into the A/C vents and fresh air inlet, but that only lasted a few months.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Are you using a manual or any kind of instructions?

Do you have a manual or such to walk you through pulling the blower? Otherwise, please share whatever pointers you have on getting it out.

Also, please come back and post how it goes and the results.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same here, mine makes a chirping sound, like a cricket.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:30 AM

we had to get a new fan, ours did this, first they tried to correct it, then replaced the fan
Old 11-20-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: we had to get a new fan, ours did this, first they tried to correct it, then replaced the fan

How much did that cost?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default looks like you get to it via glovebox removal, simple enough...

per Bentley, open the glovebox, remove top three visible screws along the top, plus the two bottom screws in the corners, swing it down, unclip the connector, and it is out.

The blower should be visible, disconnect the harness, remove two bolts, pull the assembly out.

I have not done this yet, I only get the occasional chirping, like when the blower is running at the slowest speed and I make a sharp right turn. I can live with it for now. I'll just take a different route home that includes left turns only.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:15 AM
mpw
AudiWorld Member

Default As Chizen said - very simple....

Five 8mm bolts and one connector for the glovebox/panel. Once that's out, the blower is right there. Three 8mm bolts and 1 connector for the blower. You do need to cut one zip tie that holds a harness to the blower assy.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be way to lubricate the blower, at least not without the possibility of destroying the thing in the process of trying to disassemble it.

The part number on the blower was 4B1 820 021B. At 1stVWparts.com, this pn was identified as "FAN" and listed for $180.89 (+ their new 10% Audi part premium!! and shipping). I initially looked up 4B1 820 021 (without the final B). That was also identified as "FAN", but listed for $281.84. Perhaps the cheaper price is a subassembly. Maybe someone here with ETKA can confirm the correct part number. Or call your friendly Audi dealer parts department.

In any event, this is very, very easy to change yourself. It can be done in 45 minutes moving slowly and you don't even get dirty!!
Old 11-20-2005, 02:34 PM

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Extremely Simple DIY. Had mine replaced under CPO when mine did same thing but I removed glove box

for the tech as I didn't want them to scrape up front of my glove box. It is a simple removal and replacement. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me.

Quick Reply: HVAC fan squeaks