A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ABS light on - intermittent, of course :-/

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:56 PM
mpw
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm looking forward to getting it back and re-installing it...

Now that I've figured out how to remove the washer reservoir without getting a total soaking!

I cleared my check engine light on Staurday by replacing the 2 front O2 sensors. Hopefully, I'll get rid of the ABS and BRAKE lights (and beeps) this weekend.

It was starting to look like I hit the jackpot(with the cash flow reversed).
Old 11-07-2005, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how did you replace the front 02 sensors...I've been putting this off for some time. I have

VW sensors to install...I'm looking for someone that has something written up or can give me directions...can you help out

btw...I dumped all my washer fluid in my garage...don't know how you managed not spilling...
Old 11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
mpw
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 sensor replacement (sorry - no pics).....

Following some advice from some other posts, I removed the Y pipe, removed the MAF sensor, and moved the coolant reservoir out of the way (3 screws up top and remove the connector on the bottom). A couple of posts said this would provide enough access. I needed to replace a clamp on the air filter box, so I also removed it - after you remove the 4 connectors on top, there's just a single bolt at the fender holding it in place. There are a couple rubber plugs at the bottom but you can wiggle the box past the hoses and out of engine bay. Once you get this stuff out of the way, you get fairly good shot at the O2 sensors. It didn't look like it at first, but I was actually able to get my hand on each of the sensors from a couple different directions. The connectors are black and located on the firewall to the left and right. There was a post somewhere that pointed them out. There were 3 tie wraps on the lead to the right sensor and 2 on the left. You need to cut these to free up the sensor harnesses. On the left sensor, there was also a snap on heat shield up near the connector at the firewall that you have to open up. Just be patient and trace the wires from each end. Mine were routed in a fairly interesting way. After you get the wires loose, you can get a crow's foot O2 sensor wrench (I borrowed one from AutoZone) on the sensor using a couple feet of extensions. I had to fiddle with it a little to get the wrench positioned. I also had to use a breaker bar on my ratchet handle to get enough leverage to break the sensor loose. Once they popped loose, they were pretty easy to get out - you just have to snake your arm down in there and you can twist them out. By now, you'll have figured out how to get your hand in position, so installing the new sensors is pretty easy. They should already have anti-seize on the threads, but if not, add some before installation. Put in some new tie wraps to secure the wires, and put everything back together. As they say, installation is the reverse of removal.

Make sure you have all the clamps you need to reinstall the y-pipe. Mine had single use clamps that I had to replace. Also, put a rag in the exposed intake pipes - you don't want anything dropping in there.

All in all, I probably spent a little more than 3 hours, but I move pretty slow.

Regarding the washer reservoir, I should say I think I know how to remove it without getting soaked - based on getting soaked the first time!

Good luck!