A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Fun with VAG-COM

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun with VAG-COM

I finally tried out VAG-COM with my laptop on my 5 day old 2.7T. I took a quick look on Saturday morning when I only had 90 miles on the car. As I suspected, the tech had coded 15981 into the central locking system giving me exactly what I wanted even though the service manager had told the salesman that they wouldn't do the "non-standard" window up/down with remote function. The salesman must have handed the Audi World Tech article to the service tech who then just copied the exact code that I wanted.

Under the engine heading, I found an intermittent O2 sensor failure, even though I did not have the infamous MIL light on the dash. I guessed that it had happened during dealer prep and test. I erased it after writing down the info to see if it would come back.

Over the weekend, I put another 120 miles on the car with a mixture of a 50+ mile drive and a bunch of stop & go with a small dash of freeway. Today, I took another look and found that the O2 sensor error had not reappeared. There were no error codes in any of the other modules I checked except central locking and interior monitor.

On my weekend drive, the temperature had hit 86' F (after snow on Wednesday!) and I had parked the car with the sunroof tilted up and the side windows opened about and inch. I had put the Stratmosphere sunshade across the front windhield. When I came back to the car after 45 minutes or so, I found the front& rear turn signals flashing. My guess was that a breeze blowing into the car had flipped the strap hanging off the sunshade around and set off the alarm system.

That was what the central locking system code said(Alarm via internal scan), and the internal monitor showed two events, "Alarm via theft warning system, front" and a trunk alarm. The trunk I had triggered while playing with things during my several days of digging through the manuals.

Interesting amount of information that is apparent even to a novice just poking around and looking. I joined the VAG-COM group and will be looking forward to learning a lot more. I don't suppose the shop manuals for the 2001 will be available for more than a year.

- Tom
Old 04-23-2001, 06:59 PM
mbs
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Alarm goes off with windows open

The alarm will go off with the windows partially down in any kind of wind.
There doesn't have to be anything (like your sunshade) moving around, just the air movement sets off the alarm.

Use the button on the B-pillar (above the trunk release button) to disable the motion sensor.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Alarm goes off with windows open

My light never seems to flash on the motion sensor button when ever I push it. I need to test it out to see im pushing it will turn it off. I know the sensor works because I tried it, but maybe the button is broken.

Rade
Old 04-23-2001, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

for the button to work you have to have the key out and the door open i think
Old 04-24-2001, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm looking forward to mine showing up this week :-)
Old 04-24-2001, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Alarm goes off with windows open

According to information on the VAG-COM site, it is possible to adjust the sensitivity of the interior motion sensors. Yet another thing I need to look into the details on.
Old 04-24-2001, 07:29 AM

Default Tom, Zenon adjustment ???

Tom, I read your New A6 Thread yesterday and You mentioned that you adjusted the height of Your Headlights.

I am assuming you have the zenon Headlights. I also find that my Zenons are a tad too low. It is especially noticable when I drive on country roads at about 50 Mph. It seems like I run out of Headlights too soon. I looked in my manual last night but found nothing. Please eleberate on how you adjusted Your Headlights.

Thank You
Tom Mayerhofer
2000 silver 2.7
Old 04-24-2001, 08:01 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Alarm will sound 30 sec. after enabling if ANY window is not fully closed.
Old 04-24-2001, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Tom, Zenon adjustment ???

Look at Bar_2.7T's post at the link below. I just follwed his directions. Counterclockwise was up, one revolution was all I needed. I used a Sharpie laundry marking pen to make a small dot at the back of the upper adjustment and at the top of the lower gear as he suggested. It makes it real easy to turn exactly one revolution and easy to return to factory settings if needed. As seen on the garage wall, the change is small and by turning both sides the same amount, it keeps the three-step stair pattern. You've probably gone too far if oncoming drivers start flashing their lights at you. I haven't had that problem in the 5 days since I did mine.

- Tom<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/47611.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/47611.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-24-2001, 08:16 AM

Not on mine - just tried it. Needs a good puff of wind.

Quick Reply: Fun with VAG-COM