A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Toyo T1R tires: not satisfied compared to S-03s. Pros and cons....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo T1R tires: not satisfied compared to S-03s. Pros and cons....

First, it must be admitted that the Bridgestone S-03s are extremely grippy and very stiff. I was amazed at some of the corners they kept me on. And the sidewalls are so stiff that it feels and sounds like bouncing a basketball when you go over Bott's dots or rough road. They resonate. They also tramlined like crazy, which is just more evidence of a stiff sidewall. Another drawback: when they broke loose, it was often suddenly with little chance to back off. Thanks be to ESP.

After 2 sets of S-03s, I got tired of paying $1k every 14kmiles. So I spent $750 for the same size T1Rs. I could tell right away they were much softer. After 100 miles, they are still much better damped when going over dots or potholes. More like a volleyball bouncing than a basketball.

Turn in is much less immediate. In daily driving it isn't a problem, and I navigated the winding Highway 17 fine. But missing is the sense of immediate response, that you could flick the steering wheel and move over one inch on the road.

On my favorite test cloverleaf, I set all 4 tires skidding with relatively little effort. My S-03s almost never broke loose or made noise (but when they did, watch out! On goes the ESP).

I'm afraid the extra 10k miles that I might get on this set, and the $250 I saved, may not be worth the increase in stopping distance and loss of cornering ability. I understand that Toyo offers a test drive on their tires. I seriously am considering if I qualify that I might return them.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:23 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's...

...still noticeably softer than S-03's, but just as, if not more, grippy, and quite acceptable turn-in. See review in sig. I wouldn't expect them to last much longer than S-03's though.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Sorry to hear that. You have a 500 miles of street driving return policy.

I found the S-03 to be much too harsh for daily use - but then that was on a much lighter and less insulated car.

Pilots (MXX3 was geat) will ace the S-03 for turn-in, but you probably won't save any money or miles.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i'd increase the air pressure 2-4 psi in increments to the max and retest.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default On the same boat as you. I've got 4k on my T1R's and still not convinced the tradeoff was worth it

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/545176.phtml">Jury's Still Out</a></li></ul>
Old 08-25-2005, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

At 35 cold, 39 hot. Higher would just wear the middle faster, eliminating the treadwear advantage.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:47 PM

Default The S03's are one of the most communicative tires out there

but as you noted, they are like riding on cement sidewalls. It's a tradeoff for sure. I had them on my Dinan suspensioned 540 and could not believe their telepathic turn in response. At the same time, they tramlined badly (tradeoff for that turn-in), as well as wore down quickly (tradeoff for that awesome grip).

I knew this though so when it was time to shod the S6 with new shoes, I went with the next best thing - Michelin PS2's. I think their sidewalls are a bit softer, but not by much. I still get some amazing grip but am hard pressed to judge their turn-in as I'm H&amp;R coilover'd but still with stock sway bars.

You're far too spoiled with the S03's but I'd venture to guess that the PS2's are your next best bet. F1 GS-D3's scared me due to a softer (from what I've read) sidewall and tread design which may contribute to a lot of tread "squirm" and this may also be the same for the T1R's. That solid tread continuous block may contribute to a lazy feeling turn in. Just some thoughts...
Old 08-26-2005, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Next set.. Avon Tech M 500?

I'm on these..HP Z rate summer tires.. for about 3000 miles so far. They have yet to give up and squeel on some of my favorite highway ramps.

Yes I feel the road in a much more defined way.. but not obtrusive. Too soon for wear data. But in the rain and the dry I find these to be wonderful.

The review grid at tire rack also shows these to be highly rated tires.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default LCP...

long time no speak!

I just put the D3s on and found them to be quite compliant over the bumps. in effect, they are soft in the sidewall. However, they are a nice upgrade to the P6000s i had, which howled like mad.

Can't say much about the grip though as i've yet to really give them a work out. but initial thoughts are that they do grip well and as agreed, do not give the precise feel of turn-in as some other max performance tires have.

all in all, a nice tire for a luxo-sport. for all out handling/performance, i still prefer the michelin pilots and pirelli assymetricos.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure about that Stoney. I'm running my Pirellis at 44 front and 42 rear. The difference in

sidewall stiffness and turn in from 38 psi to 44 psi is huge and I have 16k on these with perfect treadwear all round.. You'll get better gas mileage as well. Might wanna try it anyway.. Before I upped the psi I said the same things about these p zero's.. Now I love em..

Quick Reply: Toyo T1R tires: not satisfied compared to S-03s. Pros and cons....