A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

My control arm project end of day 2... LONG

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My control arm project end of day 2... LONG

One of the upper control arms on my car was warn out and the dealership wouldnt do an alignment unless it was replaced. So I did a little searching and a fellow AW member offered to sell me a complete kit (upper/lower/tie rod - Both sides) and I took him up upon his offer. So I finally got around to starting the project yesterday afternoon. I downloaded and printed out 3 diffrent directions for everything I had, and set out to do the install. Well today is the end of day 2 and I finally have the upper and lower control arms on, ONLY the pass side. I broke the upper bolt on the tierod end and have to wait for the dealership to open in order to get new ones.

Grand total time for upper and lower with tierod end for one side is comming in at a whopping 11 hours!!! All the instructions that the forum provided said EACH side should only take 5-6 house max with the proper tools. I attained all the tools that the directions said I would need and even with the help of a buddy of mine who knows his way around cars, it still has taken us 11 hours to get one side done.

I am seriously considering taking the car to the shop and having a mechanic do the other side because I am not really looking forward to another 12 hours for the left side.

My problems with the project:

1. All the directions/posts that I printed out on how to do this project state that once the bolts in the engine compartment holding the strut tower thing in place have been removed its simple to pry the assembly away from the locating stud and pull it forward... NOT SO. There is still tension on the assembly from the strut and the sway bar I am assuming. Needless to say there are some scratches from huge pry bars on the inside of my fender.

2. There is no room to properly torque anything, nuts/bolts are in the most inconvenient/inaccessable areas, and everything seems to have a diffrent size bolt/nut to secure with.

3. I see why labor to have your Audi fixed is $82/hr here in Albany, NY. This is not easy stuff.

4. I have other gripes but am too tired to continue because everything hurts from being on the ground in weird positions trying to get the job done.

I thought from all the informaiton I gathered from y'all that this would be a moderatly hard job. Everything looked straight forward in teh directions but SHEESH 11 hrs total for one side is rediculous! Thanks for the information that everyone has posted, but I am thinking that my days of hardcore fixing/moding are over. I can do a navplus (my next proj), or a spoiler, or even some engine stuff but I now know better than to tackle suspension stuff without a lift ,airtools, more patience, and smaller hands.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:30 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Eh? I've done all 8 arms in less than 3 hours before...

but that's using air tools and many many tricks...

Sorry you have had such a hard time of it.. you should have posted your progress along the way (if you did, and I missed it, sorry..)..
Old 08-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yeh the uppers are a biotch......

especially if that bolt that holds them in place on the caliper carrier is siezed in there. Not fun. I developed neck problems after changing my CV axles.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:44 AM

Default I didnt post progress but I did use your instructions which looked really stright forward

Either I am retarded, cant read, or my car hates me. But I think I am not cut out for this sort of job.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 AM

Default That's exactly why I went w/local indie shop for this...

i just did a lower control arm and then a tie rod replacement at the local indie. it cost me $270 for the control arm and about $225 for the tie rod (including realignment).

mind if i ask what you paid for the 8 control arms package? i'm told others may soon wear out and am considering the same purchase.

all i have left on my list a the sway bar link, which looks easy enough to do on my own.

i wish you luck and hope the other side goes much easier for you!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get a set of ratcheting 5/8" wrenches(16mm/same). Also...

There are some tricks to getting that pinch bolt out. One of the best is an impact hammer or chisel. I cut mine flush with the housing and pounded it with a big sledge and tried moving it with vise grips until it gave way.

You can get those bolts at a VW dealer, btw. Same as a Passat.

Good luck! The other side is usually easier after you've suffered through it once!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Don't forget the ANTIsieze compound.

The control arms were not that hard (i was doing the springs/shocks). It was the tierod I had trouble with. Ended up taking out tierod arm out to get to the tie rod. Also I think the explanations are good on the web. But Hell man buy the manual best $70.00 bucks you'll ever spend.