A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Converting A6 single din to a double din

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting A6 single din to a double din

I tried searching but I couldn't find a post on how to change a 99 A6 concert radio into a double din slot for navigation.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure if anyone has attempted it yet.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default parts/conversion will be time consuming/expensive....

The reason that it isn't coming up is because nobody (to the best of my knowledge) on this board has done the conversion in a C5 A6.

Will probably need a new climate control module: $300+

You can source the parts from www.vagparts.com or via the dealer.

Here's a cut/paste from vagparts.com:

A6 from 1998 - 2005
Double DIN radio cage for Sat Nav plus head units. Fits A6 from 1998 to 2005.

Order number: 4B0858005L
Our price:
152.59 GBP
268.25 USD
plus 17.5% VAT

Search for username absolute20v as he has pulled apart the dash in his 2000 2.7T. He's posted many pix as he replaced the entire dash (due to airbag deployment).

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Whole lotta work. Gotta change dash trim and cages, move climate control, etc.

PaulW did it to his pre-facelift D2 A8. Check out his website for the writeup.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com">PaulW's site</a></li></ul>
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default see also....

of course....you should be reading the content there...first. <ul><li><a href="http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305#305">http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305#305</a</li></ul>
Old 08-18-2005, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default nobody has done it before :)

but I am about to do it

here are all the part numbers U need for a conversion.

and U didn't use the search
there wasn't too much exitement when i announced it.

parts are ordered tomorrow, Nav+ will be installed in september.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/544810.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/544810.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-18-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Converting A6 single din to a double din

Hi,

IT CAN BE DONE...

I've done it and love it - (I only went for Navi C) but even that is well worth it.

There are also a number of UK C5 A6 /Allroad owners that have done the same . The change is actually fairly easy ...I had the parts and sat on it for 12 months before feeling brave enough to actually do it !!...

in the end I did it twice (sort of) ...a dry run - then put it back to single din and a couple of weeks later (following holiday in europe) finally swapped pernanetly to double din.

Parts and cost are a big problem - unless you get lucky (ebay is best bet).

Aside from standard nav + items (gps / plug and lay wiring / nav + etc) .. you need (in no order)
Double din cage (vagparts for new but I got mine from ebay)
new ash tray (&amp; trim cover) - ebay
new aircon - ebay
new hazard warning/cupholder trim - dealer

Taking the car apart is fairly easy (search and buy from erwin.audi.com the manual that shows hows to take apart car for detailed info ) ...basically start at the rear of the armrest and remove rear air vent , then arm rest etc -and carry on until you hit gear lever.

I'll step quickly through rest ...but if you want detailed info (I have UK car mind so may be diferent) reply to group and I can advise.

Basically - remove concert radio, trim round radio/aircon, radio trim cover (the folding piece...two clips hold it in place) , aircon is bolted in (unplug all connectors..if heated seats..then push out heat controls from aircon, ashtray (memory fading...not sure if just pulls out once aircon out or if there was a clip)...then centre console outer is held on by nut on passenger side (with small blank cover) on UK (RHD) car.

Once all visible nuts holding centre console cover are off pull up and back and the cover comes away. You can then unbolt the single din radio cage , remove it and swap out for the new double din radio cage..bolt that in...then just swap back new units (aircon etc just plugs straight into existing wiring).

The only issue is that the single din console is higher under the new double din ashtray ...this means that the trim around gearlever (wooden in mine) which has a curved uplift section at back will cause the new ashtray to foul it, and not push back into place. You therefore have to trim the curved piece off (hacksaw ) and then the centre console plastic needs trimming to fit the double din cage behind ashtray /aircon. Don't worry ...this is not a major thing and you won't see any of this once you put the aircon/ashtray in.

I think that what this means is the actual outer console for the double din drops lower behind the gear lever to allow for a small amount of space under the ashtray (compared to reasonably large space under single din ashtray ). Basically once you have done the mod you have next to no space under ashtray ...but that is only difference I can see.

Watch ebay europe...couple of weeks back there was a complete centre console (double din cage/aircon/ashtray/centre console outer (in melange/brown) , manual gear lever trim in vavona wood that didn't sell - starting price (no reserve) was £99 (~$175) .

Hope this helps in some way...
Feels about time I gave something back as to date the source of all my info came from this / Dan Gould's Nav site etc / and navplus.us......

As above...anything I can help with just ask..

P.s (My audi A6 is a 98 C5 )....
Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default thanx 4 that great reply

The search 4 information continues
Old 12-13-2005, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Great work! some questtions

I have a 98 A6 with single din concert radio/anolog clock
Can I install Navi C and if I can, will I loose the information displayed on the trip computer?

Also, Do I really need to change the aircon unit? Mine looks exactly like the ones in 2000+ models?

Thanks in advance