A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Xany xenons: update (maybe a simple fix for many)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xany xenons: update (maybe a simple fix for many)

Attention all: Wiggle the wire if your lights won't level.

I've posted before about having both headlamp assemblies replaced under warranty for a random de-leveling issue (I was very happy to get the replacements, sparkled up the front like you wouldn't believe).

The new lamps lasted about a year before the issue reasserted itself on one side, occasionally at first then constantly. The passenger side would come up to normal height on firing up, then while driving drop to a steep useless downward angle. Sometimes turning off/on would cure it temporarily, sometimes stopping the engine. Infuriating to contemplate shelling out for new assemblies on my own dime this time.

I did a (very) little disassembly and located the motor unit connector inside the housing - it's the one with blue, pink and orange wires. I gave it the old Wooster wiggle and said something beginning with 'Now see here old gel.." actually tried to take it off but couldn't get the tab to pop in or whatever in the limited time/patience window I had. Reassembled, fired up, came up perfect. That was two weeks ago and I haven't had a bit of trouble since.

Next time it reappears (and it will) I'll go back in with some of that connector-helper stuff to firm up the electrical contact. I'm now convinced it was simply an intermittently bad connection.

Thought it might help someone else with this exasperating prob...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like some QDC Cleaner and Contact Enhancer should do the trick! Good find!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yea, that's the stuff. Gonna use it on my O2 sensors too..

.. if I can find the connection point. The forward sensors have both been throwing intermittent high-resistance codes. Anyone got quick location for the first connector for these? STFA but found no specific info.