A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

<rant>Dunlop SP 9000's SUCK!</rant> Spring Service Bonanza! + A4 Loaner :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default <rant>Dunlop SP 9000's SUCK!</rant> Spring Service Bonanza! + A4 Loaner :)

Oh yeah, prhaps another slow leak but I ran it 2 blocks with 16psi and filled it up to 38psi, went directly to the highway and drove 20 miles to my prefered dealer in Highland Park. Checked pressure, it was still at 38, OK then? 5 flats in a year, different tires and all, Ive never liked these Dunlop's for one reason r another. A Max performance tire that is great in Chicago's short lived summer, but dont let the temprature get below 40 or they turn to hard stones and render quattro useless. Why they were speced on the RS 6 is beyond me.

5 flats in a year and had one replaced due to the inability to repair the tread. This tire sucks *** and I feel like I should call and bitch at someone at Dunlop for a credit towards my next purchase.

I had Yokohama's with one flat and Conti's that never flatted. Toyo's seem to be all the rage last I checked but Perilli gets 50/50 reviews depending on who's using it.

What tire should I get, needs to be 255/40/18?

&lt;/rant&gt;

I dropped the car off for all of the folowing, (since the insurance is picking up the repairs under the accident of which I have already dealt with the deductable, I dropped it off for...

Error code: 16806 - Main Catalyst: Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold (which is either a failed 02 Sensor or the Catalytic Converters are going bad.)

18098 - MIL (K18) Eletrical P1676 - 35 - 10 --- Intermittent
18084 - EPC Warning Lamp (K132) Circut: Electrical Malfunction P1676 - 35 - 10 --- Intermittent
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too low P1602 - 35 - 10 --- Intermittent

(all of these seem to be related to the steering wheel not automatically going into position uless I hold the pre set memory button down for 1 full second). It should do it automatically.

The Ac does noyt work, something the body shop didnt do, I'm sure.

As we know, the headlight washer pumps are innorprative, again due to the body shop not doing something, at least all of the parts are in there.

The cam tensioners are rattling again between 1000-1500RPM, I informed them they fixed them once, but the noise gradually returned and suggested they not fix one this time, but instead replace both. They agree.

They replaced my instrument cluster last year not because of fading, but because of a vertical line that was always present. Everything worked afterwards but I get 900MPG ever since. While this would be terrific if it were true, we know it is not and I suggested they fix that while it is there as well.

The Xenon headlight threw a code about the motor range of adjustability. I suspect it was banged up a smidget and even though they aim and we cleared the leveling code, it still shows the error code 01535 - Control Circut for right headlight adjusting motor (V49) 30-00 Open or Short to B+

My old concern for the intermittant Brake warning that beeps and flashed a few times back in January, I addressed and while I was at it, I expressed my concern and dissaproval of my warped rotors and the possibility of bent control arms and any and all related suspension components due to the accident.

All of this has been noted and I suspect new rotors, control arms and tien end rods are in my future as well as an alignment

My rear door creaks on acceleration sometimes and I guess its just an alignment of the door pin issue.

The dealership gave me a 2004 white A4 1.8T sport model for free and also said they would let their paint giy touch up my rear bumper ding on the lower valence free of charge.

So I cant really complain. The car seems to be perfect but thanks to DaveyKid's use of the VAG tools, I got the codes and thanks to good insurance for taking care of everything else, and then some.

Special thanks to the Audi Exchange in Highland Park for the free loaner as always and for excellent service writers.

Thats it. Cheers!

Above all else, WTF should I do about these sh*tty Dunlops?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:08 AM

Did you tick off your neighbor or have any punk li'l ones around having fun with you??
Old 04-11-2005, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Na, I pull out big screws and nails because these tires must have magnetic tread </sarcasm>

The tires just suck, plain and simple.

Perhaps Dunlop used a bad mold when they made them.

I'm going to call them and complain this afternoon.

I dont have enemy's or hang around anywhere where punk kids are so its definetly not that. Besides, no one would want to make enemy's of me, and if they did, would certainly not mess with my car because I wouldnt mess up their car in return, and I'm sure they could sense that in me.

No worries, its just "stuff", and stuff can be resolved.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I like 'em *hiding* :) Kumho Ecsta MX, maybe?

A lot cheaper, so if you don't like them either, you won't be as upset. They look pretty good though.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Dunlop claims to have no known issues with that tire...

...I told them I would no longer support their tires and will be choosing a different manufacturer for my future needs, as well as spreading the word to anyone that asks about this tire.

Oh well, just a waste of time.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I am never going to buy another set of them either.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You live next to a construction site and work next to one too...the cards are stacked against you.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Toyo T1R coming this Summer. More grip than the T1S, quieter, quicker inputs on the

limits of adhesion.

You should see a write-up here pretty soon.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default :)

What I found funny was "No sir weve not had one report about them".

My response.

"Yeah, and theres a fat chance the next caller will hear about my 5 flats in a year as well right?"

Deep silence...

followed by, "Sorry sir, we have no bad reports on that tire."

Rather then bitch and ask for an equally incompetent manager or supervisor, I told her, since my call is being recorded for customer satifaction note that I am not going to purchase anything manufactured by Dunlop ever again and the SP 9000 durability is as good as having water baloons for wheels.

"Sorry you are having a probl".....<b>click</b>

Yeah, if you were sorry you would credit or discount me on a better performance tire and ake a sale.

Instead I'll slam Dunlop whenever possible.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Thanks April. I will hold out for the new Toyo or go with the T1S since it seems to be proven here.

Quick Reply: <rant>Dunlop SP 9000's SUCK!</rant> Spring Service Bonanza! + A4 Loaner :)